Maybe "hell" is not such a bad translation?

KyleB

Maybe "hell" is not such a bad translation?

Post by KyleB » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:26 am

O.E. hel, helle, "nether world, abode of the dead, infernal regions," from P.Gmc. *haljo "the underworld" (cf. O.Fris. helle, Du. hel, O.N. hel, Ger. Hölle, Goth. halja "hell") "the underworld," lit. "concealed place" (cf. O.N. hellir "cave, cavern"), from PIE *kel- "to cover, conceal, save" (see cell).
The above is from http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=hell

I have been thinking about the English word "hell". It must have had some meaning prior to the Bible being translated into English. From the website mentioned above, it seems that the translators may have actually chosen a rather apt word for sheol/hades (but not gehenna).

"Hell" has of course taken on many additional meanings since that time of course, and it no longer conveys accurately the concepts of the original languages. But I was thinking that the common accusation I hear that the translators shouldn't have made the choice they made might not be so true if we consider the meaning the words had at the time the translation was made (I'm thinking of the older translations of course).

Also, I found that "inferno" (like Dante's Inferno) doesn't have anything to do with fire in the original language. See http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=inferno and http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?ter ... in_frame=0

steve

Re: Maybe "hell" is not such a bad translation?

Post by steve » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:47 am

Kyle,

Thanks for that research. The KJV men were good translators. "Hell" was a good translation, in their day, to translate sheol and hades. Unfortunately, they also used the word to translate gehenna and tartarus. This engendered confusion, I think.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:49 pm

The English word "hell" referred to "a hidden place." It used to be said that lovers would seek a "hell" in which to make love. The word was also used as a verb as in "I am going to hell the potatoes", that is, cover them up and hide them from the sun and animals so that they can grow. Later, some changed the word to "hill the potatoes", probably through a mishearing of the word, and also with the thought when you are "hilling" potatoes, you cover them and make a little hill.

So "hell" is indeed a good translation for the Hebrew "sheol" or the Greek "hades". For this is "a hidden place" for the dead. The word was frequently used in reference to the grave or tomb or other hidden place in which the dead were buried.

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Paidion wrote:"I am going to hell the potatoes"
"Hey Ma, what's for dinner?"

"Potatoes from hell."

:shock:

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:07 pm

"Hey Ma, what's for dinner?"

"Potatoes from hell."
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Views of Hell”