Potential Forgiveness in the Afterlife

Homer

Re: Potential Forgiveness in the Afterlife

Post by Homer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Homer, upon what would you base the contrary?
Barnes' Notes:
The language arose from the custom of conquerors in putting their feet on the necks of their enemies, as a symbol of subjection; see Joshua 10:24

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown:
Eastern conquerors used to tread on the necks of the vanquished, as Joshua did to the five kings. So Christ's total and absolute conquest at His coming is symbolized.

Ancient art depicting the conquerer, standing, spear in hand, with his foot on the neck of the one conquered.

Your turn, you never answered my question. Perhaps you have some examples to support your understanding that being a footstool or put under foot equates to reconciliation? I look at the statement in 1 Corinthians 15:25 and see it is sandwiched between statements about destruction in vs. 24 & 25. Perhaps the phrase means being destroyed.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:55 pm

Your turn, you never answered my question. Perhaps you have some examples to support your understanding that being a footstool or put under foot equates to reconciliation? I look at the statement in 1 Corinthians 15:25 and see it is sandwiched between statements about destruction in vs. 24 & 25. Perhaps the phrase means being destroyed.

The culmination of this section is "that God may be all in all" (1 Cor 15.28) which sounds like reconcilation to me.

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:57 pm

RICHinCHRIST wrote:
dwilkins wrote:I'm not seeing where the verses you provided challenge my point. In "this age" (at the time of the writing of the NT) there was no eternal life, resurrection, or fully implemented Kingdom. The gifts that the believers were given were a down payment and part of the promise that they'd attain to eternal life, resurrection, and share in rule in the fully implemented Kingdom. At the transition to "the age to come" people who have died and been resurrected have eternal life in heaven and great reward. In addition, there is ongoing human history on earth.

It sounds to me like you are proposing that there is no ongoing human history on earth after the 2nd Coming. If this is your position, then I can see why you've come to that conclusion.

Doug
I'm not really following you. According to my understanding, the resurrection occurs on the last day. The only ongoing human history that continues is on the new earth, not the version of our current world. At first I thought maybe you were a full preterist, but some of your comments seem to mean otherwise.

If the age to come means that individuals receive eternal life at the resurrection, then the implication of Jesus's statement sounds like there is potential forgiveness available after the resurrection, which occurs on the final day of human history, also known as the last day.
The key, of course, is what is "the last day?" There is quite a bit of discussion, especially since Wright has made the point a key to his eschatology, about the fact that the Jews didn't expect an end of human history on "the last day." Instead, the Apostles would have understood it as the last day of the old system that introduced the new system. There are some complicated implications that come from this, but I think it'd be a good idea to focus on whether or not we expect to have ongoing human history on earth after the establishment of the New Heavens and New Earth. Isaiah 66, from which the term is adopted, seems to indicate to me that there is ongoing history. Combined with chapter 65 (as well as images from the end of Revelation which show sinful people milling around outside of the New Jerusalem, but invited in as long as they become sinless), there is an unavoidable dynamic of people still being converted, which means ongoing sin and rebellion to God.

It seems to me that the crisis you are addressing is how to see people being invited to repent after the implementation of the New Heavens and New Earth. I think the common mistake is that people have flattened the period after this transition to only include heaven. If it includes heaven and earth (the earth is renewed, not done away with), then the relevant passages are switching back and forth between their description of the heavenly and the earthly. Unflattening the narrative into both heaven and earth allows you to have people repenting on earth, but not in heaven.

I'm not proposing Full Preterism, but instead Duncan's system of Premillennial Preterism.

Probably the most important thing to do is to re-read Isaiah 65-66, keeping in mind that this is not describing the Millennium. And, if you pay close attention to the context, it is clearly postulating that it will come into effect when apostate Israel is put to the sword and a new Israel and Jerusalem are established in which there are 100% believers (one of major upgrades of the Old Covenant is that only the faithful will be allowed into the New Covenant).

Doug

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:39 pm

I look at the statement in 1 Corinthians 15:25 and see it is sandwiched between statements about destruction in vs. 24 & 25. Perhaps the phrase means being destroyed.
Perhaps it does. But it seems that you think destruction is tantamount to annihilation. Can gold be destroyed by fire? Peter says so.

.. in order that the proving of your faith, much more valuable than gold that is being destroyed through fire and being proved, may be found for praise and glory and honour at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (I Peter 1:7)

Notice it is the proving of your faith which is much more valuable than the proving of gold. Peter speaks of “gold that is being destroyed through fire”. Now we know that gold is not annihilated or even destroyed in the sense of being rendered useless (such as a toy that is destroyed by smashing it). Rather the original form of the gold, the ore, is destroyed and the impurities removed so that after the refining process is complete, only the pure gold remains. So it is with the proving of our faith through various trials. We are refined, impurities removed until we come forth as “pure gold”.

Thus if "destroying every rule and every authority and power" refers to the destruction of people who rule, it may refer to the destruction of their hostile will and other ungodly attributes so that they may come forth as they were meant to be.

Origen believed that Satan was the personification of death. This is what he said about the destruction of death/Satan (vs 26):
Origen wrote:When it is said that the last enemy shall be destroyed, it is not to be understood as meaning that his substance, which is God's creation, is destroyed, but that his hostile will perishes; for this does not come from God but from himself. Therefore his destruction means not his ceasing to exist but ceasing to be an enemy and ceasing to be death. Nothing is impossible to omnipotence; there is nothing that cannot be healed by its Maker; the Creator made all things in order that they might exist ... De Principiis, III.Vi.5
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Views of Hell”