Types, Antitypes, and Universalism

Todd

Re: Types, Antitypes, and Universalism

Post by Todd » Mon May 20, 2013 9:47 pm

dwilkins wrote:The wrath that Paul refers to is the judgment of God that would fall on that generation, the first wave of which (represented in the first portions of the Olivet Discourse and the first seals of Revelation) was already present at the time of writing in 57AD.

Doug
I must apologize to Homer. It seems I have once again taken a thread off its intended subject. I will give a quick answer to Doug and then try to stick to the topic if I post again.

Paul states what the wrath is in the text. Because of their ungodliness and unrighteousness (v.18), we are told that God gives them over to (1) uncleaness (v.24), (2) vile passions (v.26), and (3) a debased mind (v.28). This, I believe, is the same as what is described in Gal 6:8 where those who sow unto the flesh reap corruption. These men receive in themselves the penalty of their error, which is due (v.27).

The same thing can be said for anyone overcome in sin - he will reap the consequences of that sin in his life, for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Todd

dwilkins

Re: Types, Antitypes, and Universalism

Post by dwilkins » Mon May 20, 2013 10:37 pm

Todd wrote:
I must apologize to Homer. It seems I have once again taken a thread off its intended subject. I will give a quick answer to Doug and then try to stick to the topic if I post again.

Paul states what the wrath is in the text. Because of their ungodliness and unrighteousness (v.18), we are told that God gives them over to (1) uncleaness (v.24), (2) vile passions (v.26), and (3) a debased mind (v.28). This, I believe, is the same as what is described in Gal 6:8 where those who sow unto the flesh reap corruption. These men receive in themselves the penalty of their error, which is due (v.27).

The same thing can be said for anyone overcome in sin - he will reap the consequences of that sin in his life, for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Todd
I agree, Todd, that the targets of Romans were the same ones as those in the epistle to the Galatians. In both cases the Jews of Paul's day were being spoken against and condemned for trying to be justified by the Law instead of by the spirit. The wrath of God would indeed accelerate against them until they were destroyed in the sacking of Jerusalem.

Doug

Return to “Views of Hell”