Advice Please!

Homer

Re: Advice Please!

Post by Homer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:58 pm

Steve,

You wrote (underlining mine):
In fact, the Bible is very unclear about many issues that are not important for us to know. As a result, people form different opinions on those matters. A pope would clear it all up—not because he would know the right answer better than anyone else, but because he would put a stop to all discussion. The Holy Spirit is not at fault for not leading us into truths which He has no interest in our knowing—or at least knowing now.
You appear to me to be saying the final judgement and its consequences are not an important matter for a Christian to be knowledgeable about. In one sense you may be correct in that it is not something that a Christian should worry about. However concern for others (unbelievers or professed believers who are living sinful lives) should certainly make it of interest to us. And it seems very strange to say that one of the basic doctrines of the Church is unimportant:

Hebrews 5:12-6:2, New American Standard Bible (NASB)

12. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13. For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant. 14. But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

6:1. Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2. of instruction about washings and laying on of hands, and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment.

Here the writer of Hebrews includes eternal judgment into the same category as repentance, faith, baptism, the laying on of hands, and the resurrection as the most basic teachings of the Church. These are all elementary principles, like a child learning the alphabet. And yet you are saying knowledge of the final judgment and its (inseparable) consequences are unimportant, unclear and thus unknowable, and the Spirit of Christ has no interest in our knowing?

I can't believe the writer of Hebrews thought any of them to be unclear; he has just indicated them to be the very basics of that which God has declared.

I hope I am misunderstanding you.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:11 am

TK wrote:Thanks guys.

Roberto wrote:
Is it true? I recommend asking our Lord.....
I do not intend to offend, but that is pretty close to that other's guy's statement that galled me, because it presumes that I have not bothered to seek the Lord on this issue, and that if I did, I would get it revealed to me in some conclusive way (most likely way that the person making the comment views the issue).
How do you know what I presume? I'm not sure I made that presumption. Maybe I meant, "be sure not to forget to pray about it" How would I know whether you indeed had done so?

steve

Post by steve » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:26 am

Hi Homer,

Everyone agrees that there is an eschatological (aionios) judgment. That is truly foundational to the Christian worldview. The Bible is not clear as to what the ultimate outcome of that judgment will be for the lost. At least it is not clear enough to allow me to see the answer. Fortunately, this is not necessary for us to know. The fact that there are unsaved people we care for does not translate into a need to know such details.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:53 pm

It almost sounds like you are saying, Homer, that it ought to be clear because of Hebrews. Lets grant that. More than one side claims clarity. Now what?

Return to “Views of Hell”