Aionios Means Lasting?

Paidion

Re: Aionios Means Lasting?

Post by Paidion » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi Singalphile,

From what I've read, it seems that the English word "eternal" was thought of differently in the middle ages. I have a book (which I cannot locate right now) which contains four views of time. At least 3 of the 4 writers hold to the concept of God existing "outside of time", a concept which is meaningless to me. However, they claim that Thomas Aquinas and other writers of those days understood "eternal" as "outside of time" rather than "unending" as many understand it in our day, or as some would have it, an infinite regression of time into the past (called "eternity past") and an infinite progression of time into the future (called "eternity future").
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:44 pm

It's interesting that Chaucer, a writer in the 1300s begins his "Parson's Tale" as follows:
Our sweet Lord God of Heaven, that no man will perish, but will that all come to the knowldege of him, and to the blissful life that is perdurable, admonishes us...
Chaucer speaks of that "blissful life" as being "perdurable" (a middle Englilsh term defined by Websters as "long lasting"). The word originates from the Latin word "perdurare" which means "to endure,"

Yet Chaucer was very much acquainted with the word "eternal", and used it in several places in his writings. So it seems that Chaucer understood the Greek phrase "αιωνιος ζωη" (aionios zoe, which virtually all modern translations render as "eternal life") as "perdurable life" or "long lasting life". Thus Matt. 25:46 would become:
And these will go away into long lasting correction, but the righteous into long lasting life.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:05 pm

I don't know, but anything that is eternal is also durable, enduring, permanent, and long lasting. I might use those words in place of "eternal" at times (perhaps especially if I were a poet), but that wouldn't mean that I think that the words are all synonymous.

Incidentally, in Steve's hell book, he mentions a use of aionios by Josephus in reference to a 3 year prison sentence. I found the section in Josephus (Wars of the Jews, book 6 something) and the use of the word, but I couldn't find the part about 3 years.

I can't find the reference in Steve's book right now.

P.S. I would like to write a review, but I can't find the time. I have a Dec 1 work deadline that's keeping my very busy.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:18 pm

You are absolutely right, Singalphile. The words are NOT synonymous. That might be the reason why a different Greek word is used for "eternal" (αιδιος) than is used for "long lasting" (αιωνιος). And yes, that which is eternal is also long lasting.
Paidion

Return to “Views of Hell”