Jriccitelli on "What's the point?"

TheEditor

Jriccitelli on "What's the point?"

Post by TheEditor » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:12 am

Hi Jricitelli,

I moved this to a new thread since I feel this one is getting bogged down and you pose a good question that I think deserves a little attention.

You wrote:
He has said in posts here that when they see Jesus they will all accept him. My response would be; If God wanted simply to get people to accept, why not just reveal Himself now, why keep hidden at all? We know He will eventually, as in Johns Revelation, but still many refused to repent. Note He was here and still they crucified Him, why is it in hell that they all repent? And why is God waiting till they are in hell? If they see Him shouldn’t that be enough, that’s what a believer is, one who accepts because of what he has revealed, not what is unrevealed or brought about by torture.
You asked the question “If God wanted simply to get people to accept, why not just reveal Himself now, why keep hidden at all?” For starters, I would proffer that this question could just as easily be rephrased “Why deal with Israel before the revealing of Christ since Christ was the ultimate revelation from God?” or, “Why deal with the patriarchs before dealing with Israel, since Israel was what the aim was”; in asking these alternative questions, I am hoping to establish a pattern of what appears (to me at least) to be a slow outworking of God's purpose. And in so saying, I might suggest that it's possible−possible−that Christianity (to use the term) is sort of a “pilot scheme”.

The matter of judgment comes into perspective when we consider that individual judgment is on the basis of what one knows, what one had opportunity to know, and how one lived in harmony with what light he had. Not all would equally know and understand all issues to be known and understood in their walk with God. So, however much we might personally come to know and see, it would still be a matter of “partial knowledge” in this lifetime.—Rom. 2:12-16.

Abraham didn't fully appreciate what God's promises would encompass. Likewise, the Jews clearly did not appreciate the role of Messiah and God's dealings with them. (Remember, at the beginning of the first century, the Jews had a 1500+ years covenant relationship with God and a heritage going back even further to Abraham and Shem. Yet, when Christ was there the Jewish nation seemed rather bleak and pathetic given the kinds of self-serving ethnocentric hopes and claims the various sects entertained, wouldn’t you say?)

“I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.”—1 Cor. 4:3,4.

The “motives of men’s hearts” that Jesus will ultimately “expose” will surely include whatever highly personal and strong motives that led individuals to reject the Bible and its testimony when they were presented with it. After all, Jesus did say of some Jews who had rejected him when he came to them in the flesh performing miracles: “I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you… it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.” (Matt. 11:22,24) But “bearable” how? Jesus didn’t give all the details, did he?

“He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.” (1 John 2:2) “Do you not know that the saints will judge the world?… Do you not know that we will judge angels?”—1 Cor. 6:2,3. (The word “judge” has interesting implications when we consider that Biblically—depending on context—the word judge can mean condemn and adjudicate as well as deliver and rescue.)

With regards to viewing Christianity as a “pilot scheme”, I do feel that there is something that has to be factored in regarding judgment and punishment that I don’t profess to completely understand. A closer consideration of passages where Jesus and the apostles refer to punishment or the risks of loss would provide some hints or clues. Things such as those who keep looking back while plowing, those who beg off from attending the feast, etc. I suspect that most of what was said (at least by Jesus) was in direct response to the sneering and attacks by the scribes and Pharisees, etc. And if so, then in these cases it would be appropriate to apply the punishment to these groups in particular because they were actively working against Christianity at the very time that Jesus was on earth attempting to firmly establish it.

Obviously, questions remain about those who are considered “unworthy.” What happens to them, etc.? If there is a gnashing of teeth and weeping outside in the darkness, is that done literally by them while on earth on being raised to life again? Are such punished by being “left behind” as some think—only, is it a being left behind to live out a short duration of time as a non-progressing human with no further prospects beyond this? Or is it more of a metaphor for being humiliated by being publicly judged and ostracized by those around them? I don’t think we can know for sure at this time, but pondering and guessing can be interesting and stimulating—and frankly, I think that’s at least one of the reasons for the absence of details.

But the broader notion, that God has a greater purpose, a reason for incrementally bringing people to him; from the days of the ancient men of faith; to the Jewish nation; for giving certain people “advantages” (compare Romans 3:1) to the Christian age and to perhaps what lies ahead, I think just maybe there is more to the picture than we are privy to, and perhaps God has His reasons for playing the cards “close to his nose”. Perhaps Christianity too, like Judaisim, has “advantages” that we don't yet fully recognize, and to miss out on that opportunity now may not mean the ultimate cutting-off of all who fail to respond, they would nevertheless miss out on some blessings and opportunities.

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

jriccitelli

Re: Jriccitelli on "What's the point?"

Post by jriccitelli » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:43 am

God wants to see faithfulness and trust in his Word, when He is not present, perceived, or visible. Like when a boss puts some litter on the ground out in front of the office and watches to see if any employee bothers to pick it up. Jesus refers to the same thing when mentioning the cup of cold water given to someone anonymously. God wants to know how you act when you’re on your own.
God left Adam alone in the Garden with only a warning. Adam demonstrated failure to trust in Gods Word and listened to others instead. God wanted to demonstrate to men what they are capable of, and well now we know, war, murder, rape, Godlessness, etc. Some demonstrate faith, trust, and a fear of God even when they cant see Him, by faith that is, this is what God is looking for.
I might suggest that it's possible−possible−that Christianity (to use the term) is sort of a “pilot scheme”.
Editor I appreciate your thinking. I come across as dogmatic but I am really more of a philosopher also. I wondered about stuff like; what if this is just one of a number of populated planets God has made, etc. I thought of this being just a lesson that culminates in UR too, but I find this contradicts with what scripture tells us about Christ; that He is the final revelation and all things are revealed in Him and the Word sealed with the apostles blood and a warning to not add to their words.
God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, 2 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world. (Hebrews 1:1-2) How will we escape if we neglect so great a salvation? After it was at the first spoken through the Lord, it was confirmed to us by those who heard (Hebrews 2:3-4) These things we write so that your joy may be complete – in order that you may have eternal life (1John 1:4 – 5:13)

The bible and the Gospel reach ‘all the way back’ and reaches ‘all the way forward’ telling us of mans birth, life, death, and future. All the coming future places and events along the way that lead to salvation or judgment seem to be noted already; a book opened, seven trumpets, a war in heaven, beasts from the earth and sea, Armageddon, a victory, Babylon falls, there is a marriage and a bride, a rider on a white horse, a wine press, Satan bound, more books are opened, all the dead are brought up, a Judgment, a throwing, a lake of fire, a second death, a new heaven, a holy city and a note that the first things have passed away. Even without chronological order involved I do not see any place or event that notes someone in hell repenting, or some place post mortem where someone accepts Christ, salvation, the Gospel, gets excused, forgiven, or let out, or what have you.

All the events seem to have been noted. If God has not mentioned it I would have to resort to one of the two of the conversations with the dead noted post death:
"But Abraham *said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 "But he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent!’ 31 "But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’" (Luke 16:29-31)

The other note from Peter about Christ preaching to the dead, seems to note Christ preached but that sounds to me rather like a ‘offer’ to accept, but how many actually did accept is left unsaid.
Editor I liked your points also, maybe someone else would comment on why God is keeping Himself invisible.

TheEditor

Re: Jriccitelli on "What's the point?"

Post by TheEditor » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi JR,

Will reply more later but your reference to Luke 16 reminded me of another post I made in this forum a few years ago.

Regards, Brenden.

http://theos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3410
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Return to “Views of Hell”