1 Thessalonians 4:13 - As used in Steve's new book on hell

jaydam

1 Thessalonians 4:13 - As used in Steve's new book on hell

Post by jaydam » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:50 pm

I've been enjoying reading Steve's new book. I haven't gotten all the way through it, but I had a question regarding the use of 1 Thessalonians 4:13. The copy of the book I am reading is the Kindle edition on my iPad, but if the page count is accurate, I am referring to page 26 of the print edition.

It is stated that 1Th 4:13 says that Christians do not grieve the dead like the unbeliever, and indicates that the dead is referring to saved and unsaved. However, taken in light of the larger context here, and especially in light of 4:14 referring to those who have fallen asleep in/through Jesus, isn't the dead to be Christians?

Am I reading this wrong?

Overall, I'm loving the book. While I always questioned the traditional view of hell, I have found myself needing to better articulate my thoughts on the matter as I go into my second year of seminary. This timely book has helped me further my grasp upon the belief that I was already emerging into, and really helped me better articulate my own beliefs, and understand the counter beliefs.

Great job Steve!

robbyyoung

Re: 1 Thessalonians 4:13 - As used in Steve's new book on hell

Post by robbyyoung » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:44 pm

jaydam wrote:It is stated that 1Th 4:13 says that Christians do not grieve the dead like the unbeliever, and indicates that the dead is referring to saved and unsaved. However, taken in light of the larger context here, and especially in light of 4:14 referring to those who have fallen asleep in/through Jesus, isn't the dead to be Christians?
Hello Jay,

Paul is definitely eluding to his consistent doctrine regarding the unsaved as stated in Ephesians 2:12 and possibly Jeremiah 18:12. I'm unsure concerning your question, "isn't the dead to be Christians?". You answered this correctly when delineating between the saved and unsaved in your statement. Hopefully Steve will shed further light on the entirety of your statements and question.

God Bless!

steve

Post by steve » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:07 am

Hi Jaydam,

Thanks for your comments. I agree that Paul is primarily thinking of Christians who have died in the general context of 1 Thess.4. We have hope for our Christian friends' resurrection. My point was that not all the Christian's friends and loved ones are believers—and the ones who are not are not less loved or less grieved over than those who are. The truth is, a Christian who believes in the traditional hell must necessarily be more tormented over the loss of unsaved loved ones (let's say one's parents or one's children) than would the unbeliever be (who knows nothing of such an eternal torture chamber). It is true that Paul is making a statement of hope for the lost who are in Christ. However, he states as a general observation that Christians do not grieve as do others who have no hope. If a Christian believed the traditional view, he would indeed grieve the loss of an unsaved friend or child even more than would the unbeliever.

jaydam

Post by jaydam » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks for commenting you guys.

Steve, your answer cleared up my question. As a child and teen I always struggled with finding the traditional view of hell in the scriptures, but to not accept it would have incurred the wrath of my church, and probably severe ostracizing. I kept quiet when my questions were frowned upon. Eventually I left God and the church.

I'm back now, and not so timid, just desirous to find the answers to the questions I used to have.

Return to “Views of Hell”