Luke 18:30 questions about AION AIONION

njd83

Luke 18:30 questions about AION AIONION

Post by njd83 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:03 am

And He said to them, "Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who will not receive many times as much at this time and in the age(aion) to come, eternal(aionion) life."
(Luke 18:29-30 NASB)
Wouldn't AIONION (G166, age-enduring) have a clear jewish-messianic-age flavor to its 1st century hearers?

Wouldn't using AIDIOS (G126, ever-lasting) totally clear up any confusion with hearers/readers about whether the Biblical writers were referring to age-enduring or eternal life/punishment? I mean using AIDIOS one specific time for referring to life/punishment of humans would give much credence for AIONION and AIDIOS to be synonymous in NT usage.

"...who will not receive many times as much at this time and in the aion to come aionion life." Luke 18:30

Wouldn't it seem wierd to use the same root word right in a row but imply a different meaning in using the suffix for "belonging to"? http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-ian

I read this verse this morning and just thought to myself, How can this verse actually mean eternal?

steve

Re: Luke 18:30 questions about AION AIONION

Post by steve » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:30 am

Thanks for sharing, Brother. Your point is, I think, a valid one.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:23 pm

Yes, “αἰων" means age and so I suppose we could translate “αἰωνιος” as “agey”, but as far as I know, the latter is not an English word.
I think the best translation of “αἰωνιος” is "lasting". Not "everlasting" but "lasting".

The word was used in koine Greek (the Greek spoken from 300 B.C. to 300 A.D.) to refer to anything which is enduring. The word was used by Diodorus Siculus to describe the stone used to build a wall. The word seems to have been used as meaning “lasting” or “durable”.

Josephus in “The Wars of the Jews” book 6, states that Jonathan was condemned to “αἰωνιος” imprisonment. Yet that prison sentence lasted only three years.

But the clincher comes from the Homily of the Epistle of Saint Paul to the Ephesians, written by Chrysostom. He wrote that the kingdom of Satan “is αἰωνιος (agey), in other words it will cease with the present αἰων (age).” So Chrysostum apparently believed that “αἰωνιος” meant exactly the opposite to “eternal”! ---- that is “ lasting” but in this case also “temporary.”
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

njd83

Post by njd83 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:37 pm

That's really interesting. I've read some of your other posts too Paidion. I am coming to different conclusions (ie- not total UR)

Quickly, that some are annihilated in the second death, while some make it out during the Great White Throne Judgement, being still in the book of life. My leaning then is that Satan is just tormented until annihilation. With no chance of parole. Second (Spiritual) Death is assured for him. As with the other angels that corrupted the earth before the Flood. Along with that idea, a conclusion I must make is that: some souls have done such corrupt things that they are "for-ever" untrustworthy, which is possibly what is determined at the GWTJ (even though known ahead of time). They are given a court hearing, but ultimately they cannot be reconciled.

I would theologically concede God could have such power to reconcile, but that may not be the actual Truth set before us in God's understanding of things.

some thoughts. thanks for the responses

Return to “Views of Hell”