Purpose of Hell & Character of God

Dominic

Purpose of Hell & Character of God

Post by Dominic » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:28 pm

As I've understood, there is support for both Universalism and ET. But as I look further into the topic it seems that people choose their side mostly because of what they think the purpose of hell is, and the character of God. Universalists tend to think that the purpose of hell is to give a remedial punishment and that God is all loving or, "άγαπη" love . People that hold the belief of ET usually think the purpose of hell is to punish wrong-doings and that God will administor punishment based on black and white law. So I'd like to ask both Universalists and Eteranalists what they think the purpose of hell is and the what God's character is. Thanks for any input!

Homer

Re: Purpose of Hell & Character of God

Post by Homer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:30 pm

Matthew 25:41(NASB)

“Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;

The original purpose appears to be as a place of punishment for the devil and his angels.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:38 am

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:06 am

You must understand that AS strong as God's love is, that is the same measure of his hatred of sin.

So....can't God hate sin intensely enough to be determined to get rid of it once and for all?
God does not do anything halfway...

You mean, other than in the realm of salvation of the world and the elimination of sin?
If he were just a rolypoly gentle santa claus here to tickle us all and gift gifts, Christ would have not said "fear him!" nor sweat drops of blood. When God himself is asking to take the cup away you've got to understand it's an intensity beyond our comprehension. So the very love of God is itself a testament to his hatred for sin.
This is precisely why both of the non-traditional views believe that God will do away with sin forever. The traditional view has Him merely marginalizing sin forever.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Perhaps the only sin allowable is the eternal conscious torturing of sinners..... :?
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:51 pm

In answer to the question of the purpose of Hell, I would say that the main purpose—God's purpose— is the same for all three views of hell—that purpose being the elimination of wrongdoing or sin ( sin = "that which harms others or oneself").

The Infernalist sees the elimination of sin resulting from the everlasting quarantine of all those who persevere in sin.

The Annihilationist sees the elimination of sin resulting from the annihilation of all those who persevere in sin.

The Restorationist (or Universal Reconciliationist) sees the elimination of sin resulting from the eventual repentance and reconciliation to God of all those who persevere in sin.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:11 am

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:04 am

Paidion wrote:In answer to the question of the purpose of Hell, I would say that the main purpose—God's purpose— is the same for all three views of hell—that purpose being the elimination of wrongdoing or sin ( sin = "that which harms others or oneself").

The Infernalist sees the elimination of sin resulting from the everlasting quarantine of all those who persevere in sin.

The Annihilationist sees the elimination of sin resulting from the annihilation of all those who persevere in sin.

The Restorationist (or Universal Reconciliationist) sees the elimination of sin resulting from the eventual repentance and reconciliation to God of all those who persevere in sin.
I like this answer

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:03 pm

A few thoughts:

If the purpose of hell is the elimination of sin, what scripture(s) explicitly state this?

Can sin ever be eliminated entirely as long as creatures have free will?

Why would God need hell to eliminate sin? He could just let us all die and leave us dead.

steve

Post by steve » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:16 pm

Dizerner wrote:
I don't see anything halfway about "depart from me."
Much more halfway than annihilation or reconciliation. "Depart from me" (according to the traditional view) means, "Keep on rebelling eternally, but don't do it around me!"
I could argue with you that infinite hatred cannot be expressed in a limited time, otherwise it's definitely halfway
Two thoughts:

First, where does the Bible speak of infinite hatred? We might reasonably speak of infinite love, since God is infinite and "God is love." Yet we never read that "God is hatred" or "God is wrath." As with any loving parent, these are passing emotions with God—His love is forever.

The Lord is merciful and gracious,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
He will not always chide,
nor will he keep his anger forever.
(Ps. 103:8-9 ESV)

For I will not contend forever,
Nor will I always be angry;
For the spirit would fail before Me,
And the souls which I have made.
(Isa. 57:16)

For the Lord will not cast off forever.
Though He causes grief,
Yet He will show compassion
According to the multitude of His mercies.
For He does not afflict willingly,
Nor grieve the children of men.
(Lam. 3:31-33)

So what, exactly, is your scriptural basis for talking about "infinite hatred"?

Second, the doctrine of eternal torment does not reveal hatred toward sin, but toward the sinner. Sin remains in full vigor, unimpeded, in the traditional hell. It maintains its dominion over its slaves in hell, inspiring eternal hatred in them toward God.

How is sin, in this case, punished? It is the slave (not the tyrannical master) who is punished in hell. Does God have eternal hatred toward sinners who were created by Him for fellowship with Him, but who were infected by the disease of sin? Why hate them? Why not deal with the disease itself? Is sin the only disease that God is unable to cure, and whose grip upon His creatures He must tolerate forever?

Homer asked:
If the purpose of hell is the elimination of sin, what scripture(s) explicitly state this?
I believe the purpose of the final judgment and the restitution of all things is to restore the sinless condition that existed originally. To express the unacceptability of a thing, all Jesus had to say was, "It was not so from the beginning" (i.e., God didn't originally make things that way). I believe that God made things as He wanted them, before man's rebellion. In the new creation, there will be "no more curse" (Rev.22:3). One may freely argue against this proposition, if one wishes, and say that God intends to allow sin to continue undefeated eternally, but I would be interested in seeing the scriptural case for anything so counterintuitive.
Can sin ever be eliminated entirely as long as creatures have free will?
Yes. Jesus had free will, and He never sinned. This is an option, and I believe it describes the eternal state of the redeemed.
Why would God need hell to eliminate sin? He could just let us all die and leave us dead.
He wouldn't need hell in order to annihilate sin, if that is the only imaginable way of eliminating it. On the other hand, some kind of hell might be necessary if His preferred method for eliminating sin the post-mortem reformation of sinners. That clearly is His preferred method in this present life. Unless He has a change of plans, or thinks something else would work better, He might continue pursuing the same goals beyond the grave, for all we know.

Return to “Views of Hell”