Church fathers view on hell

Jim

Re: Church fathers view on hell

Post by Jim » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:55 am

Homer wrote:Jim,

Good post. If we consider that a "metaphorical" view of eternal punishment (held by many theologians) would entail God's permanent withdrawal (outer darkness) for those who reject Him, I do not see any fault on God's part.
I recall reading some of the Saints, I will see if I can find it, that those who have rejected God continue down a path of eternal non-existence. What this means, is they are in a forever constant state of falling, destruction, death, suffering caused by their choice, never to experience Theoria. In a since, from those who view them, they are in the outer darkness even as they are completely surrounded by God. To those who reject Him, that is reject Love, the darkness is within because they do not wish the light to be within. The main problem I see with certain views of hell is that they have God changing and responding to the presence of men, not men responds to the unchanging God.
Remembering our most holy, pure, blessed, and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and ever virgin Mary, with all the saints, let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God.

Return to “Views of Hell”