Connection to Steve/ The Narrow Path

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
anochria

Connection to Steve/ The Narrow Path

Post by anochria » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:38 pm

Stop me if there's already a thread like this in existence, but I thought it would be cool to have a thread where everyone could give a quick snapshot of how they first became acquainted with Steve and his ministry.
Pastor Josh Coles, Aletheia Christian Fellowship
Visit the Aletheia Discussion Forums

roblaine

Re: Connection to Steve/ The Narrow Path

Post by roblaine » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:59 pm

About four years ago, I first heard Steve on KWIL in Albany Or, while traveling on business. I found his show to be a refreshing change from what I was used to hearing on Christian radio. Listening to Steve's show became a highlight of my trips to Eugene from Portland. At that time Steve was not yet broadcasting on KPDQ. Shortly after that he did start broadcasting in Portland and I was able to listen on a daily bases. I was also fortunate enough to live in an area where Steve would regularly visit and teach, or hold open forums like the one in Camas. After becoming somewhat familiar with Steve and his teaching's I purchased his book and read it cover to cover, and much of it for a second time. The impact that Steve's ministry has had on me was is quite extensive. Not only have I been blessed by his book, online teaching, and show, I have also gained some valuable personal friendships with others who know Steve and value his gift for teaching. One of the greatest blessings has been the friendship that has been developed with Christopher, Don & Kellie, and yourself (anochria), not to mention getting to know Steve a little better when he travels to town.

Robin
It matters little where a man may be at this moment; the point is whether he is growing.
-George MacDonald

AaronBDisney

Post by AaronBDisney » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:03 pm

I was on Bible.org forums - debating (as best as I could) a bunch of Calvinists. And a guy that used to be on here SOARINGEAGLE was also on there. He sent me a message - telling me about this guy that had audio files that gave real clear consistent teaching on this subject.

So I followed his link over to the narrow path. I listened to Steve's debate and lessons on Calvinism. Then I listened to the Eschatology teachings, since that was always a subject I was a little shaky on. I didn't have a clue what I was about to get into. I'd never really heard the Amil - Partial Pret position and it made such good sense to me. Then when I told my pastor about it, he, of course, thought I was off my rocker......so I tried to learn dispensational theology (waste of time) and have come full circle back to Amil.

I also consult Steve's lessons when teaching the Sunday School class I teach. And - being that he's made himself so available, I've been able to ask him direct questions.

To someone that wants to know the ins and outs of God's Word, Steve Gregg is like putting everyone's commentary in front of you all at once. You get every angle and every take on every subject. At the church I attend there are a lot of good teachers - but Steve is probably the best I've ever heard, and I find myself unintentionally mimmicking his style. That's about it for me.

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:24 pm

anochria wrote:Stop me if there's already a thread like this in existence, but I thought it would be cool to have a thread where everyone could give a quick snapshot of how they first became acquainted with Steve and his ministry.
There is a little bit written here, started I think around the time the forum relocated:

OTHER THREAD (down the page)

I knew we had something, lucky I was able to find it; the search option wasn't terribly helpful, I suppose can't blame it -
"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: gregg steve." :roll:

By the way, Josh, I assume you are still working on your own snapshot in answer to your question? :)
Suzana

anochria

Post by anochria » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:13 am

:lol:

My experience was this:

About 14 years ago my friend Matt Hansen, a onetime student at the Great Commission in McMinneville, started spouting off a whole lot of nonsense about amillenialism. Setting out to disprove him, I rustled up a recommended copy of Steve's Revelation: 4 Views, and, like Aaronbdisney, found myself on a long eschatalogical journey (that's an understatement).

Then about 2 years ago some new faces showed up on our church's online discussion forums (Christopher and Roblaine). We made an instant connection, and shortly afterword both of their families began attending Aletheia. It wasn't long until I discovered that they actually knew this Steve Gregg guy who had written Revelation: 4 Views.

I started listening to some of Steve's audio series, and then Robin and Chris took me to one of Steve's open forums in Camas. I was very impressed with Steve's humility, accessability, knowledge, and integrity... and simple willingness to invest time in someone he just met.

Flash forward now, Aletheia has been blessed with two visits from Steve and I'm excited about the new friendship and partnership opportunities :D

christopher

Post by christopher » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:51 pm

About 6 or 7 years ago, I ran across a book at Pilgrims about the 4 views of reveleation (I don't think it was Steve's), and although it looked intriguing I didn't buy it. I later decided I wanted it, but it was gone by then. I searched Christian book stores for it, but to no avail. I later received an e-mail add from CRI about Steve's book along with an announcement that he would be a guest on Hanks' show (Bible answer man). I bought the book (not from Hank, but Walmart on-line of all places...it was the cheapest :) ) and began reading it.

Although I wasn't a regular listener to BAM anymore, I tuned in to hear Steve talk about his book and was pretty impressed with his radio demeanor and scripture recall. So I began listening to Steve's show and later corresponding with him and talking to him at his meetings. He turned out to be refreshingly humble, likable as well as knowledgeable. Just an ordinary guy who loves Jesus and spends a great deal of time getting to know Him and share His words with others. I became a regular listener to both the show and on-line lectures and attender of the local meetings when he came to town.

When the elders at my former church began warning me about Steve's dangerous teachings, I suspected he was probably worth continuing to learn from. And when I was shown the door for promoting his show to my Christian friends, it confirmed my suspicions :D . I now consider Steve to be a mentor, friend, and an example to emulate. I think like Paul, Steve could justifiably declare:

1 Cor 11:1
11:1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.
NKJV

Sorry Steve, don't mean to embarass you.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:32 pm

I heard Steve on the Bible Answer Man show with Hank Hanegraaff. I was a long time listener to Hank's show, but I was growing quite tired of all the commercials and cliches. Steve was interviewed one day about Revelation and I found the discussion more interesting so I checked out the website and found a gold-mine. Tons of free audio and even a Bible Q&A show with ZERO commercials!!!

It's the no commercials thing that got me hooked

I would listen to a heretic as long as he didn't have commercials!

Just kidding

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:04 am

I don't remember when exactly but it's been more than 5 years for sure that I was looking for a commentary on the book of Revelation. I found Steve's Four Views of Revelation book at Amazon.com and eventually bought it. But before buying it I was reading the reviews and someone mentioned the narrowpath website. So I took a chance and checked it out. I couldn't believe all the painfully long ;) and free lectures.

Steve's style, thoroughness and willingness in pointing out other viewpoints than his own was something I had never seen before. I couldn't get enough. After downloading everything he had to offer I began buying tapes of the rest of his teachings that were not yet on the website. I then had to convert them from tape to MP3 so I could listen at work. After seeing Steve was an alright guy I finally bought his book on Revelation. :)

I have been listening to his radio progam for a few years now, but I hate calling in. Even the thought makes me a wreck. Maybe I should just call several times a week for a few months until I get the hang of it. :lol:

I got to meet Steve a few times when he came to St. Louis. I'm sure I left a lasting impression on him and others I met as I am terribly reserved (meaing I'm pretty boring). I've very much enjoyed all the "extras" you learn from/about Steve when you listen to his lectures and radio program. Stories from his life as well as expierences and trials he has had as a Christian. Great info for a young Christian like myself.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:18 am

mattrose wrote:I heard Steve on the Bible Answer Man show with Hank Hanegraaff. I was a long time listener to Hank's show, but I was growing quite tired of all the commercials and cliches. Steve was interviewed one day about Revelation and I found the discussion more interesting so I checked out the website and found a gold-mine. Tons of free audio and even a Bible Q&A show with ZERO commercials!!!

It's the no commercials thing that got me hooked

Just kidding
Ditto to the jot and tittle

anochria

Post by anochria » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:08 am

mattrose wrote:
:D

sean wrote:
So I took a chance and checked it out. I couldn't believe all the painfully long and free lectures.
I know! I love Steve's lectures but how does anyone have the time to listen to them? It took me a couple of months to find enough alone time to listen to the eschatology series and now it's been a good month plowing through the "some assembly required".

I also had to laugh at Steve's thoroughness when I asked him a question the last time I saw him at the open forum in Camas. I asked specifically about the state of the departed "saints" and he launched into a full-on exploration of the afterlife ;) I think he just knew that if he only answered my particular question someone was bound to jump in with a related question. Heading them off at the pass I guess :lol:

Return to “The Courtyard”