Introduction

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
steve7150

Re: Introduction

Post by steve7150 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:15 pm

Easily claimed; hardly demonstrated.

There are many persons besides Christians who have claimed to have heard G-d. If Jesus is not "the Savior of the World," how would it necessarily follow that every last one of those persons was/is wrong?

============

The above being said - I note that you did not give straight answers to the questions I posed.

I'll try to give you straight answers Emmet. My wife was and still is a secular jew. At first she was hostile about my new belief but over time her attitude changed to neutral and now slightly favorable. My dog is still agnostic. I think the Holy Spirit came into me that night because it was a very different feeling then anything i ever experienced. It's possible it could have been emotionalism but i never came close to that intensity of reaction before or after that event and i don't think i could generate that on my own. Additionally i had three minor miracles happen to me after becoming a believer that were completely out of my control.

It's true that if Jesus is true then many others who contradict his teachings would have to be false like Muhammud or the founder of Buddism and Hinduism. How do i know Jesus is true? I tried to examine the evidence, i relied on logic and a vision of why God created us that makes sense to me.
As to the "clodhopper" question , i think people will be saved after this age and it is God's intention that we experience both evil and good ,love and hate, light and darkness and all the other contrasts existing in this dimension because it is part of the process of becoming more like him through these experiences. So clodhoppers are the perfect messengers.

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi, Steve,

Thank you for your answers on the personal front. I am surprised to hear about your dog; many domestic canines are Zoroastrian. ;)
steve7150 wrote:
As to the "clodhopper" question , i think people will be saved after this age and it is God's intention that we experience both evil and good ,love and hate, light and darkness and all the other contrasts existing in this dimension because it is part of the process of becoming more like him through these experiences. So clodhoppers are the perfect messengers.
And so the embarrassing shortfall of Christian missions is to be expunged by appeal to a future age? How familiar. Just like Jesus will make good on all those prophecies that he never fulfilled - when he returns.

A convenient escape tactic - and one made nearly insuperable by the impossibility of refuting it in the present. For how can any future event be disproved?
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:35 pm

And so the embarrassing shortfall of Christian missions is to be expunged by appeal to a future age? How familiar. Just like Jesus will make good on all those prophecies that he never fulfilled - when he returns.

A convenient escape tactic - and one made nearly insuperable by the impossibility of refuting it in the present. For how can any future event be disproved?

Ok Emmet , i told you my view and you told me yours , blessings to you.

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:43 am

Shalom aleykhem.
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:33 pm

Thank you for your answers on the personal front. I am surprised to hear about your dog; many domestic canines are Zoroastrian.

My dog being a huge fan of Zorro did convert to Zoroastrianism thinking there was a connection.

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:01 am

Michael Brown was mentioned a few times in this thread. I downloaded and listened to one of his sermons and thought it was pretty good, but I'm concerned about his past involvement in the Brownsville Revival. Do you guys think he's pretty solid?

I used to attend a charismatic church but when the pastor suggested that people of faith wouldn't have medicine in their homes, I took my family and split. It felt nice to get out. Stuff like holy laughter and being slain in the spirit always freaked me out.
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Michael Brown was mentioned a few times in this thread. I downloaded and listened to one of his sermons and thought it was pretty good, but I'm concerned about his past involvement in the Brownsville Revival. Do you guys think he's pretty solid?

I used to attend a charismatic church but when the pastor suggested that people of faith wouldn't have medicine in their homes, I took my family and split. It felt nice to get out. Stuff like holy laughter and being slain in the spirit always freaked me out.psimmond

I read Brown's set of 4 books called "Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus" and found it insightful and helpful to me. I don't know anything about the Brownsville Revival but i like Brown.
I think when the Pastor suggests people get rid of medicine , it's very irresponsible even if you believe in healing in the atonement for it's obvious that most times faith healing does'nt happen and having medicine may be a life and death matter.
For me holy laughter or being slain in the Spirit would'nt freak me out as if it's fake it's their problem and if it's real i would like to see it.

Return to “The Courtyard”