Greetings

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
TheEditor

Greetings

Post by TheEditor » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:10 pm

Greetings,

Since this is the area for introductions, I suppose I'll post here. I was raised a third generation JW and was heavily involved until the age of 30. I won't go into a great many of the details, however I suppose I was what one would call a "true believer". I read Mr. Gregg's book on Revelation a couple of years back and enjoyed it. I didn't recognized the name when I came across his radio show, but discovered who he was when I visited the website. My reason for visiting was his answer to a question regarding hellfire on the air. Being a former JW, one doesn't hear views on hell like the one I heard, save from one with an Adventist background.

The Anabaptist leanings also have an appeal. I also like the fact that he at least allows for the fact that some are troubled by trinitarian theology and can't sincerely wrap their minds around it. I have come to the conclusion that their is a unique relationship between God the Father and His Son, and that human words are too limited to dope it all out. I believe this to be ALL human words, trinitarian or not. Peter's simple confession in Matthew seems to be all that is required.

I find that I do not need people to think as I do, as I once did, and extend the hand of fellowship to those who are willing to accept it.

Eschatologically, I remain in my quasi-Futurist, quasi-Preterist, quasi-Dramaticist and very quasi-Historicist view of Revelation. I am a man of commitment. :lol:

Looking forward to the exchanges.

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Michelle

Re: Greetings

Post by Michelle » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:36 pm

Howdy, Brenden, welcome to the forum! :D

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:53 pm

Hello Brenden, nice to meet you! :)

I think I agree with your thoughts regarding the 'trinity' concept of God, and also believe the relationship between the Father & the Son is unique, and our limited human minds are unable to adequately grasp this, or give words to explain the seemingly unexplainable.
Suzana

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:19 pm

Thank you for the welcome Suzana and Michelle.

Suzana, as an aside, I noticed you had a Beecher quote in your signature. Interestingly, CT Russell purchased 2 of Beecher's properties, one of which was referred to as "Beecher's Bethel" and subsequently became "Brooklyn Bethel" the headquarter's of the International Bible Students. Beecher's residence was 124 Columbia Heights, the capital of JW's now.... :|

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:36 am

Hi, TheEditor.

I don't think that I've ever personally known a JW (or ex-JW). I would like to hear more about your experiences, if you don't mind. Your perspective on that group in general would probably be illuminating and interesting. What do you think they do right, and what do they do wrong, as an organization/denomination? How do they view and relate to mainstream Christians?

I'd also like to hear how it was that you came to separate from that group, as much as you are comfortable sharing online.

I have assumed and still assume that you are a Christian now. Do you think it's common for people to move in the direction that you moved?

I hope you'll have a little time to share, but that's okay if not. :)

Thanks!

P.S. Please point me elsewhere if you already covered this (I didn't find it) or you can create a separate thread if you like.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi Singphile,

Thanks for the questions. Well, I will answer as succinctly as I can. For starters, I think the average JW is well meaning and sincere. If you take the plunge and become a JW, you are most likely sincere, as there is nothing "nominal" about the "catechism" (this is not a word they use, but it's more familiar to non-JWs). You pretty much are throwing your lot in with a group that believes that Biblical "truth" (academic) is needed for salvation. Also needed, is practicing the preaching work to whatever extent you are capable. Third, you need to be in "Jehovah's spiritual paradise", ie. the WT Organization.

What they get "right" is they take the Scriptures seriously. What they get "wrong" is they take them too seriously. They have a sort-of extreme need to bend and twist to make everything fit neatly together, and when things don't, it creates tension--dissonance--for the average JW. If one of these JWs becomes unhinged from the WT, there is a fair chance they will end up agnostic or atheist, beacause all of the heavy-lifting has been done by years of telling JWs how wrong and bad all other churches are. After that, where else can one go? I would say the breakdown is, from my observation of those that leave that 30% become atheist, about 30% become deist and the remaining 40% probably are split between Fundies, Catholic, Nominal, Unitarian and reasonably sound believers.

My reason for leaving was fear of the firing squad. :lol: I was raised third generation. I had had some questions, but always put them on the back-burner. Well, at some point I ran out of burners. JWs believe that only 144,000 have the heavenly calling to sonship and are born of God, the remainder of believers (JWs) have the call to earthly life in the Millenium and beyond. One day, a trusted friend posed a series of questions to me regarding several of the occurences of the Greek word for "everyone" in the NT. In the first batch of verses, they were ones that clearly applied to all JWs, whether they were planning on living in Heaven or on earth, for example, "Everyone that denies the Son does not have the Father either"; "Everyone who practices sin is also practicing lawlessness"; "Everyone who hates his brother is a manslayer," etc. Then he said, "Read 1 John 5:1":

"Everyone believing that Jesus is the Christ has been born from God, and everyone who loves the one that caused to be born loves him who has been born from that one." (1 John 5:1)

This seems a simple thing to the average Christian, but this was enough to make me see that what the WT was teaching was wrong. This was the "straw" if you will. It took a while, but eventually I faded from my congregational responsibilities and stopped attending all together.

Regards, Brenden.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:11 am

Wow. That's very interesting. Thanks.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:52 pm

My best friend during high school was a JW. I wasn't a devout Methodist at the time, my family went to church from time to time. She and I had many discussions on our differing beliefs; she told me she would refuse a blood transfusion because only God can give or take life. I wasn't allowed to give her birthday or Christmas presents, however, we had a dual "birthday" party one year since our b/ds are 1 week apart, we just stated no gifts. In October, I think, for her parent's anniversary the family exchanged gifts like we do at Christmas. They would go out for a very fancy dinner then come home and open presents. I would go shopping with her for weeks before.

I didn't like the fact that her family didn't salute the flag or say the Pledge of Allegiance or sing the National Anthem, and niether did my parents, but I was always allowed to spend time at her house, do things with her family. We even called each others' moms 'mom'.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi Nancy,

JWs (like any group) are a mixed bag. You will find some reasonably well-adjusted people within the Organization. You will also find a fair share of odd ones. In general, if they are nominal attenders, they will just have some different points of view, and may or may not seem any different from anyone else. If they are true believers and conscientious, then you will know it. The dynamics within the WT Society are in flux, and it isn't even the same organization now as when I was growing up in it. I would say that the WT Society has had about seven or eight "epochs" if you will, so that anyone transplanted from one era to another would probably feel a little alien, with the exception of certain teachings that have remained the same.

Regards, Brenden.

Return to “The Courtyard”