"Hello" from JayDam

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
jaydam

"Hello" from JayDam

Post by jaydam » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:25 pm

I'm guessing I'll be pretty active on here, and figure I'll briefly introduce myself for any who care, as I have a somewhat unique story. Obviously the story will be greatly condensed with many cool details nessecarily left out to keep the introduction brief.

I currently live in the Portland, OR area, where I also grew up. I left when I joined the Army in 2000, but after being medically retired from the Army I found myself back in the Portland area.

I grew up in a Christian home, but, although saved, I struggled with the unanswered questions my church leadership seemed to not be able to adequately answer, and the hypocrisy and empty legalism I felt like I saw in so many people at church.

I walked away from church and the lordship of Christ about the time I joined the Army. I never stopped believing God existed, I just up and decided one day that following him was not something I wanted to do anymore.

Over the next decade I went off to war a few times in a couple different countries, I lost friends, I slipped into severe depression, drug and alcohol abuse, and tried to kill myself more than once.

I thought of God a few times over the years, but always remembered the rules, hypocrisy, and other junk I had seen in the body of Christ. I always decided I'd rather go it alone than submit to the God I thought I knew from seeing the flawed people that made up his body.

One day, in 2011, I was sitting in a therapists office, attending military ordered counseling, complaining about society, and telling the shrink I had no patience or love for anybody other than myself because "people in general suck, and the human race is sickening in the things they can do to each other" when a voice audibly spoke to me and told me, "I have never given up on you. I have never stopped loving you. I'm here, come to me." Somehow in my spirit, as the voice spoke, I knew it was the God from my childhood. Essentially, I guess I had a mini Paul experience.

After a decade away I returned to church asap after hearing God's voice. I walked into Portland area church, and the sermon spoke exactly to my life. My life has not been the same since. Cold turkey, that Sunday, I was able to simply walk away from the drug addiction and alcoholism.

I'm currently attending seminary now, and I have nothing else in my heart, but to tell people full time about the God I have come to know.

I look for every speaking opportunity I can get to talk about my life and my God at youth groups, church, small groups, or any other place

Hopefully one day I'll have a more consistent platform to speak from. I envision pastoring a church, and traveling to tell anybody and everybody who I can about God. However it works out, I know that I will be employed in spreading God's kingdom 24/7.

Sorry this is a little long. I don't know if anybody will read it, and obviously there are many more stories that I had to leave out, but I hope whoever reads it will find it honoring to God even in its brevity and incompleteness.

Singalphile

Re: "Hello" from JayDam

Post by Singalphile » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi, JayDam. Thanks for sharing that [edit: I mean your] encouraging story, and welcome to the forum! :)
Last edited by Singalphile on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

paulespino

Re: "Hello" from JayDam

Post by paulespino » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Singalphile wrote:
Hi, JayDam. Thanks for sharing that encouraging story, and welcome to the forum!
Yes, it is truly encouraging.

Return to “The Courtyard”