Preaching to Myself

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
robbyyoung

Re: Preaching to Myself

Post by robbyyoung » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:44 pm

mattrose wrote:
robbyyoung wrote:I just wanted you, which you knew already, to clarify the difference if your sermon called for it :)
By the way, point me to what you are referring to in this statement, "the greek word for 'boast' here is about excessively extolling oneself (like a self-infatuation)" and what translation you are using. Thanks and God Bless!
I used this Bible
http://www.amazon.com/The-English-Greek ... nterlinear
And this site
http://www.studylight.org/lex/grk/gwview.cgi?n=4068
Thanks Bro and may God's blessings be upon you and the congregation in service to His Majesty ;)

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:32 pm

For any interested, this sermon series may be found at the following link:
http://www.lockportwesleyan.com/apps/podcast/

Here are my thoughts so far on this coming Sunday's sermon

GOD DOES NOT FORCE OR
DEMAND HIS OWN WAY*
*This is a paraphrase

Popular Translations of 1 Corinthians 13:5a
KJV [Love] doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own
NKJV [Love] does not behave rudely, does not seek its own
NIV It [love] is not rude, it is not self seeking
NIV11It [love] does not dishonor others, it is not self seeking
NLT [Love is not] rude. Love does not demand its own way
TM [Love] doesn’t force itself on others, isn’t always ‘me first’

Stated in the Negative
“God is neither a cosmic rapist who forces his love on people, nor is he a cosmic puppeteer who forces people to love him. Instead, God, the personification of love, grants us the freedom of choice.” (Hank Hanegraaff)

Stated in the Positive
God is love and therefore relational, partnering, flexible, compromising, open to suggestion, and willing to be persuaded. God desires to enter into give-and-take relationships that involve adjustments, changes on the fly, and plan B’s (at least!). In many ways, God has the opposite of the ‘my-way-or-the-highway’ mentality.

Examples of God’s Loving & Letting
God let Adam fall, Abraham save Sodom, Jacob wrestle, Aaron help, Moses intercede, Israel have a king, Hezekiah live longer, a temple be built, and repentance change prophecy. He lets prodigals run, the church to affect the 2nd Coming, and even sinners to have their way.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:56 pm

Matt, I just wanted to say again how much I appreciate this sermon series you are doing. You've piqued my interest and given me some excellent things to think about. Thanks, also, for posting your sermons online. I look forward to hearing them each week!

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks Michelle. I've enjoyed having some feedback too. I really started posting the sermons online b/c there is a couple in the little church I preach at that has been in and out of hospitals for months and rarely gets to come to church anymore. But they're so supportive of my preaching ministry and were thrilled to be able to listen to the sermons from their home or hospital.

Last week, I ended up going a slightly different direction from the initial notes I posted (as you know if you've already listened since I explained the process a bit). This coming Sunday I am going to be dialoguing with the famous sermon "Sinners in the hands of an angry God" as I talk about how God does not lash out or keep a record of wrongs.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:15 pm

Notes for this week as of this moment...

GOD DOES NOT LASH OUT
OR KEEP RECORD OF WRONGS

The 18th century Puritan preacher Jonathan Edwards is, perhaps, most well-known for a sermon titled Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God (1741). Since he “is widely acknowledged to be America's most important and original philosophical theologian,” the influence of this sermon has proven to be profound.

The question is…
Should the sermon be famous or infamous?

The sermon aims to awaken the wicked to the frightful frailty of their lives. They are always and at every moment only a breath away from dying and deservedly facing the wrath of God.

God is “dreadfully provoked” to anger toward sinners. Edwards compares God’s wrath to a raging storm, rushing waters, and an angry archer itching to pierce his target with a furious arrow. If you’re a sinner, God “abhors you” and considers you “loathsome” and “abominable.” And when the storm finally comes… when the dam finally breaks… when the archer finally releases the arrow… God will “laugh and mock” as he crushes sinners “under his feet without mercy.” Those sinners who have so far avoided this fate should only be more concerned, for they are “constantly increasing” their list of sins and “treasuring up” future wrath.
You may be able to guess, knowing me, that I would consider this particular sermon more harmful than helpful. While I appreciate a boldly and clearly communicated sermon, I’m mostly interested in truth. Does Edward’s sermon accurately convey the character of God?

3 Main Problems I have with Edward’s Sermon

1. The sermon doesn’t even wrestle with, and frankly seems bent on avoiding, the loving character of God. He talks about how the only thing keeping sinners from wrath, right now, is God. But when he describes WHY God is holding them from this fate, he uses words like “His pleasure” or “His arbitrary will.” Love is never given as God’s motivation for mercy toward sinners. In fact, love is barely mentioned in the sermon at all!

2. A lot of the sermon pits God against God! God’s wrath is eager to torment sinners, but God’s mercy holds His wrath at bay. God seems schizophrenic! God is simultaneously, according to Edwards, a furiously rushing river of wrath AND a dam holding it at bay. He is both an angry archer wanting to shoot you down, but also the one who stops the assassin from shooting. “How excellent his love and how terrible his wrath,” apparently, at the same time.

3. Most significantly, however, is Edwards lack of contemplation on how his thoughts line up with New Testament revelation… especially that of Jesus Christ! A few times, Edwards comments that God is “dreadfully provoked” whereas 1 Cor. 13 says that love is not provoked. He says that once a sinner dies God's love for them is no more and only His wrath remains, whereas 1 Cor. 13 says love perseveres and never fails. Worse still, he says that God is willing and wanting to show His wrath on His enemies, whereas Jesus said to love our enemies. Over and over, Edwards seems to ignore New Testament revelation that would seemingly call for a complete re-write of his sermon.

Of course, at the end of the sermon, Edwards calls for a decision to be made by those who were listening. They should repent and enter into relationship with God before it’s too late. No doubt, many, based wholly on fear, decided to turn rather than be burned.

My question is… why would anyone, other than out of fear, turn to such an angry and hateful God? Why would anyone want to be in a relationship with a God like this?
A God who not only is somewhat eager to lash out in anger toward the wicked so as to display the awesomeness of His wrath, but also a God who, until that time, is keeping a long list of sins committed… so that His wrath may be even more furious.

I suggest that the influence of this sermon, and thousands of others like it, have played a large part in leading many people in our culture to an idea of God that is so unattractive that it is no surprise people have abandoned belief in, and more importantly trust in, Him.

The saddest part is, it’s all needless. People flee from a God associated with this kind of darkness, but God is light. People run from a God associated with this sort of wrath, but God is love.

People won’t fall in love with a God who is keeping a record of all the wrongs they’ve ever done so that He can lash out at them in the end with a fiery display of His fury… but they might fall in love with a God of love. They might fall in love with a God who does not lash out and keeps no record of wrongs.

And the good news is… God isn’t like that. God is love. And love does not lash out or keep a record of wrongs.

Once again, my sermon title departs somewhat from the regular rendering of these well known words.

Popular Translations of 1 Corinthians 13:5b
KJV Love is not easily provoked… thinketh no evil
NIV Is not easily angered… keeps no record of wrongs

But I have ‘does not lash out’ and ‘keeps no record of wrongs.’ As we discuss each phrase I want to explain why I chose the wording I did and hopefully help us to connect with the point that God and Paul were making.
1st Phrase (Paroxynetai)

Popularly translated
Not easily provoked (KJV)
Not provoked (NASB)
Not easily angered (NIV)
Not irritable (NLT)
Not quick tempered (CEV)
Doesn’t fly off the handle (TMB)

The word, in Greek, is associated with sharpness. Something in your vicinity is irritating. Someone is trying to rile you up. And it works. You respond in an outburst. You respond with sharpness.

It actually reminds me of the dogs my family had when I was a kid. We had an old outdoor golden retriever (Copper) and an young indoor Yorkshire terrier (Bently). Copper, obviously, was quite a bit bigger than Bently. But wouldn’t you know, whenever Bently went outside he’d nip at Copper. This little tiny terrier tried to terrorize this much bigger dog. I was always impressed by how long Copper put up with it, but you better believe it eventually came to a point where his frustration boiled over and he’d lash out with a burst of angry barks that sent Bently running for his life.

Some people think God is like my old golden retriever. He’s pretty patient. He’s not easily annoyed. But every sin irritates him a little bit. And eventually he reaches a point where he just can’t take it anymore and lashes out. He’s old and irritable... easily provoked to anger.
2nd Phrase (Logizetai)

Popularly translated
Thinketh no evil (KJV)
Does not take account of wrongs suffered (NASB)
Keeps no record of wrongs (NIV)
Does not count up wrongs (NCV)
Not resentful (ESV)
Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others (TMB)

This Greek word is a book-keeping term. It’s an accounting term. The idea is that love doesn’t keep a ledger of past sins. When you love someone you don’t focus on or keep track of the bad parts of their past.

We’ve probably all been involved in verbal disputes in some of our closest relationships. And we’ve probably all been frustrated when someone we’re fighting with brings up something from the past… something that, perhaps, had already been dealt with and, supposedly, forgiven.

And, truth be told, we’ve probably done this to others. In the heat of an argument we bring something up from their past that we shouldn’t have… and maybe didn’t even intend to. But deep down it was still gnawing at us.

Some people think God is like us when we fight with each other. He’d rather not fight, but if we do start bickering he’s got a long list of our past sins that he’s willing to bring up. He says they are forgiven, but when push comes to shove, he still holds them against you.
And because people see God as easily annoyed and irritable… because they see Him as holding a grudge and keeping a record of past offenses… they’re not nearly as willing to come close to him as they might otherwise be.

But God does not lash out & keeps no record of wrongs

Since God is love and love doesn’t do these things…

We don’t need to worry about God finding us annoying
We don’t need to worry about God finding us irritating
We don’t need to worry about God flying off the handle

We don’t have to worry about God dwelling on the past
We don’t have to worry about God keeping a list (Santa)
We don’t have to worry about God retracting forgiveness

We don’t have to worry about God lashing out at us in wrath or keeping a record of our wrongs.

If there’s someone eager to lash out at us, it’s the devil
If there’s someone keep a list of sins, it’s satan

God does not lash out & keeps no record of wrongs

Many people are afraid to get close to God because they don’t trust that He won’t lash out in anger over past sins. They feel like they have to replace 20, 30, 40 years of sin with 20, 30, 40 years of right-living before they dare draw near to him.

My message this morning is there’s no need to wait.

God loves you. God has no desire to lash out at you in anger. God has no desire to bring up past sins. God is love, and His desire is a fresh start and a new relationship. He doesn’t want to wait. He wants to start. He wants to walk with you into the future.

We see this trait of God in Jesus. A famous story is found in John 8:3-11. It’s the story of the woman caught in adultery.

Now… this story raises some significant questions. For one, if this woman was caught in the act of adultery, they must have caught the man too. Why isn’t he on trial?

But what I want to focus on is Jesus’ response to this situation. They were trying to trap him. If he turns left and lets her off the hook, he’s too liberal with God’s law. If he turns right and stones her, he’s broken Roman law and won’t have as much appeal to the peasant crowds so fond of following him. Either way, he loses.

But Jesus didn’t lash out at this woman with stones
And Jesus didn’t list out her many sins for all to hear
Instead, Jesus calmly and quietly wrote something in dirt
We’re not sure what he wrote. But in the end, all these accusers eager to lash out at this woman for her sin, left one by one. Only Jesus and the woman remained. And Jesus would not condemn her. He simply told her to leave her past behind and enter into a sin-free future.
“Sinners in the hands of an angry God” is a terrible title for a sermon about a God who is love.

“Sinners in the hands of an angry God” is an especially terrible title considering a verse like Romans 5:8. God demonstrates his LOVE for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. God’s attitude toward sinners is love. Now that doesn’t mean He won’t discipline. Love disciplines. It doesn’t mean He’s OK with their sin. Love is never OK with something that hurts the beloved. It means that anything God does toward a sinner is done in love and in hopes of relationship.

“Sinners in the hands of an angry God” is a terrible title for a God who does not lash out at sinners in furious wrath, but reaches out to them in grace.

“Sinners in the hands of an angry God” is a terrible title for a God who does not keep a record of wrongs, but offers a fresh start, a clean slate, a new beginning.

“Sinners in the hands of a loving God” would be a good title for a sermon. That would be good news. That would be gospel.

Edwards sermon was right about one thing. Life is a very fragile thing. We hang on by a string… a thin thread. But he’s wrong about God. If God were as angry at sinners as Edwards imagine, there’d be no hope for any of us. But there is hope…. Because God is a God of life and love. A God who doesn’t lash out & keeps no record of wrongs.

God is not against you.

God is not for AND against you.

God is for you.

Many people are worried about getting on God’s bad side, but that’s impossible. God doesn’t have a bad side.

God is love.

Now love does discipline. And there are consequences of cutting oneself off from the source of love. But the PROBLEM we face when we do that is never God. The problem is the absence of God.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:08 pm

So, Matthew, I've been wondering...you have daughters, don't you? Have you seen Frozen yet? If so, I'm really curious to know what gospel parallels you draw from it. If not, your girls will love it. You might enjoy it as well.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:58 pm

I haven't seen it yet. But once my girls find a new movie that they like, they like to watch it a few times in a week... so I'm sure I'll get there eventually. Thanks for giving me something to do when they watch it :)

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:50 am

So... who has a strong opinion about the meaning of the phrase "Love does not rejoice in iniquity" (1 Cor. 13:6a, NKJV)?

Does it mean that it is not loving to rejoice when our enemies suffer evil?

OR

Does it mean that it is not loving to turn a blind eye when evil is being practiced (perhaps in the name of grace/liberty)?

OR

Does it mean that it is not loving to be entertained by evil (gossip, dirty jokes, etc.)?

OR

Something entirely different?

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:26 pm

Notes for this coming Sunday

GOD DOES NOT REJOICE AT EVIL
BUT REJOICES WITH THE TRUTH

Some might consider it the job of the preacher to interpret the Bible. But I consider it to be the job of the preacher to help the congregation to learn how to interpret the Bible. And that includes being honest about when interpretation of the Bible is difficult.

As I began my preparations to preach on the phrase
LOVE DOES NOT REJOICE AT EVIL
I wasn’t sure exactly what the phrase really meant.

It seems simple enough. God is against evil. Of course. But why say that? Is it just a setup for the next line?
BUT REJOICES WITH THE TRUTH
Or does the first line actually significant on its own?
I tend to think every line of Scripture is significant

Once I started digging, I found 3 major interpretations of the phrase LOVE DOES NOT REJOICE AT EVIL
And when we subject them to our series framework… we find some interesting results!

Each of the 3 interpretations takes the line in a different way. These differences are based on slightly different understandings of either the word rejoice or the word evil.

God takes no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked
God does not rejoice when evil/bad things happen to bad people

Of course, if Jonathan Edwards sermon “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God” accurately depicts the character of God, we’d be hard-pressed to take this interpretation.

Edwards sermon pictured God, upon hearing the cries of the wicked as they face eternal misery, not only refusing to pity them, but actively “laughing and mocking” them. Such a God is willing and wanting to show his wrath so as to “magnify his awful majesty and mighty power in the extreme sufferings of his enemies.”

But does that sound like a God who is love? Does God take pleasure in the destruction of the wicked? It’s one thing for God to allow the wicked to choose destruction, but it’s quite another for God to rejoice in that fact.

Thankfully, the Scriptures are actually quite clear in the other direction. Through the prophet Ezekiel God bluntly states:

I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!
(Ezekiel 18:32, see also 18:23 & 33:11)

But this wasn’t just a statement that God made and then, hypocritically, went around doing otherwise. Over and over again we see God grieving the destruction of the wicked. I’ll share with you 2 close examples:

EXAMPLE 1
God judged Israel, but He wasn’t happy about it. And when the Edomites were… he rebuked them for it. The Edomites had a long history with Israel. They were both relatives and enemies. When Israel was attacked, the Edomites sinned in 4 stages.

FIRST they stood aloof (1:11) at Israel’s destruction
SECOND they rejoiced (1:12) at their destruction
THIRD they took advantage (1:13) of their destruction
FOURTH they participated (1:14) in their destruction

For Edom, it was a slippery slope from indifference to violence toward their enemies. But God rebukes them for every inch of that slide. The judgment of a people should cause us grief, not joy.

EXAMPLE 2
In the very next book of the Bible, Jonah, we learn a similar lesson. Jonah was told to prophecy against the Assyrian city of Nineveh, but he was reluctant. When I was a kid, I projected my shyness onto Jonah and assumed the reason he resisted this calling was because he didn’t want to speak to strangers!

But the real reason Jonah didn’t want to go to Nineveh is because he was afraid they’d repent! He hated the Ninevites! He wanted them to be judged and didn’t want to give them even an opportunity to turn from sin.

When Jonah finally did prophecy their destruction, his fears were realized. They repented! And God changed his mind too. Given their turn, He decided not to destroy them after all. He had never been excited to destroy them in the first place.

But Jonah was a different story. He was greatly displeased by this turn of events and became angry (4:1). Jonah was literally upset that God was so loving! Jonah needed to learn that God actually loves Ninevites. Rather than being eager to destroy them, He was eager to save them.

God takes no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked.

Do we?

I’ll admit, this is a complex issue. There is a certain legitimacy, I think, to experiencing a sense of satisfaction when justice is done.

Was it wrong for me to rejoice, as a kid, when Dan Marino got destroyed on a sack by Bruce Smith?

Is it wrong for us to rejoice when a bully gets suspended from school?

Is it wrong for us to be glad when a criminal is finally put behind bars?

Who could blame us for being more than just satisfied when Bin Laden was finally found and killed?
Perhaps there is a difference between a sense of satisfaction at justice being done and actually rejoicing over the destruction of the unjust person. It’s a fine line.

But it’s one we need to mind.

God does not take pleasure in the destruction of the wicked… and neither should we.

Think of David. His own son, Absalom, rebelled against him. David was the rightful King… and justice had to be done against such a rebel. But when news of Absalom’s death reached David, he grieved. He knew that what happened had to happen, but he took no pleasure in it.

And David was a man after God’s own heart.

God takes no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked

That interpretation is quite possible, but there’s another interpretation that I think fits the context of 1 Corinthians even better.

God doesn’t turn a blind eye to evil in the name of love
God doesn’t get proud of his gracious tolerance for evil

In writing 1st Corinthians, Paul was addressing a group of Christians who were far too accepting to sin in their midst. They were fighting with each other, even suing each other. They were making a mockery of the Lord’s Supper. They were mis-using and abusing spiritual gifts.

But perhaps most surprising to us was their attitude in chapter 5. Paul had heard a report that a man was actually in a sinful sexual relationship with his own mother-in-law. But more astonishing than that was the reaction of the rest of the church! It says they were proud of it (5:2)! On what planet does this make sense?

We get a clue as to their thought process in the very next chapter. The Corinthian Christians, it seems, were stressing the freedom that we have in Christ so much that they were fond of saying “Everything is permissible for me,” but they didn’t know how to add any nuance.

They were, it seems, proud of their tolerance and acceptance of this sordid sexual relationship. In the name of love, grace, liberty, freedom… they turned a blind eye to sin. And worse yet, they actually rejoiced in the sin and their acceptance of it.

What they should have done is fled from sexual immorality (6:18). They should have fought for the purity of their church (6:19). They should have been grieved by the sin in their midst (5:2). They should have judged this man guilty (5:3). Given his lack of repentance, they should have expelled him from the congregation (5:13) in hopes that he’d come to his senses.

But they turned a blind eye and even rejoiced at evil.

God doesn’t do that.

Psalm 5:4 says that God is not a God who takes pleasure in evil. He doesn’t pretend like nothing is wrong in a relationship when something is wrong. And he certainly doesn’t treat freedom as a license for licentiousness.

One commentator said of this passage that “false love which compromises the truth by glossing over sin is here condemned.” (JFB)

We struggle with this.

How to we love the sinner while hating their sin?

How do we let loved ones know we don’t approve of their behavior without cutting off the relationship?

How do we accept the reality of sin without accepting it as OK?

It’s always easier to turn a blind eye to sin in the name of love. But, ironically enough, that’s not actually loving.

The danger of a series titled God is Love is, of course, that we’ll import our human definitions of love and end up polluting our definition of God. We must be careful to let God define love for us and then, and only then, may the phrase “God is love” become the center of our theology.

If this interpretation is correct, and I think it is, it is a warning that “God is love” doesn’t mean anything goes.

God isn’t entertained by filth
(dirty jokes, put-downs, violence, etc.)

I think a less likely, though still possible, interpretation of the phrase is that love is not amused by or entertained by evil. Love wouldn’t find dirty jokes funny. Love wouldn’t find put-downs of other people funny. Love wouldn’t watch violence for entertainment.

And if a loving person wouldn’t delight in such things, certainly God doesn’t delight in such things.

And so God commands us with verses like Eph. 5:4

Ephesians 5:4
Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

God does have a sense of humor. I once heard a preacher say sarcasm is a sin, but I’m pretty sure there are some pretty sarcastic lines in Scripture.

But the point is, God doesn’t find dirty jokes, hurtful put-downs, or needless violence delightful or funny. He finds them incredibly ugly. And we should too. I don’t think that’s what Paul had in mind here, but it’s true nonetheless.

No matter what of the 3 interpretations is correct, there is, of course, no debating that all 3 statements are true. God doesn’t like it when the wicked fall, He isn’t loving in an ‘whatever’ sort of way, and He isn’t amused by filth
God Rejoices with the Truth

We’ve spent so much time already considering when NOT to rejoice… that we’re left with little time to discuss when to rejoice.

And isn’t that kind of our problem.

We love to focus on the negative.

Our newspapers and broadcasts are filled with mostly ‘feel bad’ stories. We always find something to complain about in our sports teams, our spouses, our churches.

We define our Christianity, too often, by what we don’t do (decieve, steal, smoke, sleep-around) rather than by what we do (care, charity, give, serve, etc.)

Paul reminds us here that part of being loving is celebrating what is good and true in life. Elsewhere he says…

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Christians should be people who focus on the good and true. This is, in fact, the mark of a healthy individual.

And there’s no one healthier, so to speak, than God!
God loves to focus on the victories. We get the impression in Scripture that He actually takes time to celebrate each victory.

We’ve spent some time, in this series, in Luke 15. It’s a chapter with stories about a lost sheep, a lost coin, and a lost son. In each story, finding that lost thing leads to celebration.

When the shepherd finds the lost sheep, he “joyfully puts it on his shoulders” and starts organizing a party for his friends and neighbors to come and rejoice with him. The point is that God, every time 1 single sinner is saved, celebrates. He rejoices in the truth!

When the woman finds her lost coin, she throws a party too. Once again, the point is that God celebrates when one sinner comes to a saving knowledge of the truth. Notice something interesting in that particular paragraph. It says, “there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” So it’s not the angels who are rejoicing. It is God himself!

When the father sees the prodigal son finally coming home, he calls for a robe, a ring, sandals, a feast, a celebration! When the older brother complains, the Father insists “We had to celebrate and be glad because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again, he was lost and is found!”

When we come to the truth, God can’t help but rejoice.
In Zephaniah 3:17, picturing the future Day of Celebration, it says that “God will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.”

Can you imagine that?

God delighting over you?

God calling for your attention so He can sing you a song?

God rejoicing over you with singing?

That’s the picture of God we get from Scripture. A God who does not rejoice at evil, but rejoices in the truth!

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Also of note... I can think of 2 factual mistakes I've made in this current sermon series.

1. I believe I once said (almost certainly in the sermon on shame) that God sewed fig leaves together for Adam & Eve to wear. Of course, it was Adam & Eve who did that. God clothed them with skins.

2. I believe I once said (in the sermon where I dealt with Jonathan Edwards) that Wesley and Edwards were friends who experienced a lot of turmoil in their friendship due to doctrinal differences. Of course, I was mixing up Edwards and George Whitefield.

These mistakes were made quickly and nobody noticed them but me as far as I know. But since I'm putting my sermons and some text out there on this message board, I figured I better make those corrections publicly as well :)

Return to “The Courtyard”