Greetings from a new forum member

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
Bookends

Greetings from a new forum member

Post by Bookends » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:19 am

Peace be to all in Jesus Christ. When I became to be a Christian maybe debatable among Christians, but here's my story. As a son of a baptist minister, I accepted Christ as my savior when I was 5 years old. I can vaguely remember the joy and sense of peace I experienced to morning and the Sunday school teacher who led me to accept Jesus. During the course of time, especial in my teen years I drifted away in my attempt to be accepted by the world and to please my own desires. At age 27, I rededicated my self to the Lord, for I saw the path I was on unfulfilling and leading no where *(I think God had something to do with that)*. I was baptized by my dad and found a church to attend regularly. Since then, although I determined to live for Christ, I had a lot to learn, and soon found myself compromising and justifying my sinful behavior especially in the area of fornication. It wasn't until I got married for the first time at age 36 to my wife (who had 2 children from previous marriages) when God really started drawing me into His word and a desire to follow Him faithfully.

Now some would say I was never saved to begin with at age 5. Some would say I was, but drifted and came back x2. To me it makes little difference. What matters now is that God is at the forefront of my brain, it's my desire to be in relationship with Christ and pleasing to Him. Although I may contend I was indeed born-again at 5, attesting to the fact that "no one can snatch them out of My hand" (no one would be including myself I assume, since I am someone). I could proclaim that God is a loving God who allows His children free will to live, learn and make mistakes so that we can learn more about His character involving His chastisement, His grace/mercy, love and of coarse to learn obedience. Perhaps I came to Christ with a child like faith and was saved, thus why attempts to he happy and successful in the world were futile. I understand Steve Gregg's teaching on this issue, and my father also said it's just as easy for one to accept Christ as it is to reject Him. Have I out right ever rejected Him? I don't think so, but I will admit I didn't always follow Him. I also understand that there may be many people professing to be Christians when in actuality they are not, and that some advocates of OSAS teach that you can do whatever you want (happily live in sin) because of a simple prayer of salvation or belief is uttered or believed. I understand that faith alone gets you there, but there is a cost involved, a commitment. A true repentant heart is a heart that doesn't willing and happily engage in the things it first repented of. In Christ Jesus we are a new creature, Amen!

My church background is as follows, Baptist, Mennonite, and now currently Evangelical Friends, although I have never been an "official member" of any. My mother and father both came from Methodist backgrounds. My Dad changed to Baptist because during a debate he became convinced that baptism by immersion was the way to go (so I hear from my mother, since my dad is with the Lord now). [Side note: My dad also changed his eschatology from pre-mil/pre-trib to Amillennialism]. I don't really like to be labelled by denomination and I don't really see any biblical support for it, but I realize due the human condition why they exist. Quite frankly, I don't fit in with any denomination for I don't agree point to point with any of them. That said, it doesn't excuse me from the local gathering of believers. This is my testimony in a nutshell.

Why am did I join this forum? Several reasons, I enjoy Steve Gregg's teachings, verse by verse especially. I appreciate his thorough teaching although I don't particularly agree with everything he says but still respect his opinions/conclusions on non-essential Christian theology. Steve, I appreciate that for the most part you present the 2 or 3 sides of many non-essential Christian theological issues. Many of these issues I consider myself on the fence but lean in a particular direction, for example 1. Can a true born-again Christian lose their salvation, mostly know as OSAS and, 2. old earth creationism vs young earth. I'm not here to persuade Steve or anyone else on these or other particular issues but rather to sharpen my own understanding of things (and in the process maybe sharpen other's understandings and give some balance, but that not being my primary goal).

Another reason for being here is fellowship.I enjoy deep theological concepts and I can't engage with them at home. My wife doesn't seem interested in knowing /seeking all the details. I feel there is a lack of fellowship in most local churches today. Seems like church has become a means for one to feel better about themselves and our standing with God. Most people seem content with just sitting and listening to one man speak, sing a few songs, and then leave; not really getting engaged with what church is really about such as edifying others, prophesying, God centered worship, and for training/discipleship to name a few. I also belong to another Christian forum, but there is seems most people would rather hold on to their theological views without serious thought and respect to others, leading to point of disunity. I'm hoping that this forum takes a different demeanor, in that we can disagree on some things, but still show the Love of Christ to one another.

If you got this far, wow. I realize I rambled on a lot. I just wanted to let you all know where I'm coming from. I'm just a simple guy really, not too intellectual (and not as smart as most of you) but not completely in the dark either. I'm looking to get to know you all now and for eternality. God bless.

James
"Was the prodigal son, after his penitential return and forgiveness, less obliged to conform to the laws of his Father’s house than before he left it? No indeed, but more so." A.W. Pink

robbyyoung

Re: Greetings from a new forum member

Post by robbyyoung » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:52 am

Welcome James and God Bless.

Robby

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Yes, welcome James. I think you'll find some interesting opinions here!

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

steve

Post by steve » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:47 pm

We're glad you joined us here, James. I think you'll find the liberty to challenge just about anything here.

Return to “The Courtyard”