Could Jesus have taken a wife while on earth?

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
Paidion

Re: Could Jesus have taken a wife while on earth?

Post by Paidion » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:14 pm

In his vision, John, the writer of Revelation, sees an angel who tells him, "Come, I will show you the bride, the Lamb's wife." then the angel shows John the New Jerusalem.

Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls filled with the seven last plagues came to me and talked with me, saying, "Come, I will show you the bride, the Lamb’s wife."And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God... (Rev 21:9,10)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:38 pm

Regarding Brenden's remarks: When I asked my pastor if he thought the church was the New Jerusalem, he acted as if it was something he had long believed, even though it was a new concept for me. I do not know the general view of evangelicals. However since both the church and the New Jerusalem are called the bride (of the Lamb and of Christ), how can we conclude anything else? Again, why would Jesus marry a city? That doesn't make sense. But I will not be dogmatic about it. Obviously, it's not an essential doctrine. However, the Biblical fact that Jesus was not married is, in my opinion, quite important, because it stands against many heresies and lies put forth about Jesus.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Do you know of any other place where the Church is called "the bride"? It seems to be that it is called "the body of Christ" everywhere else. Isn't there a difference between a man's body and his bride? I think that the bride might refer to the "overcomers" which are mentioned so often in Revelation. The apostle Paul wrote of "the revealing of the sons of God" for which the whole creation is groaning in anticipation, including "we ourselves" (Rom 8:19-22)
This seems to be a special subset of the Church, those who will share in the first resurrection.
Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years. (Rev 20:6 ESV)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:29 pm

To Paidion, No I don't know of a place where the specific words "church" and "bride" are both used together, but Paul's teaching in Ephesians 5:22-33 certainly shows us that the relationship of the husband and wife is to be like that of Christ and the church. In fact, verse 27 could be a reference to BOTH the church and the New Jerusalem - "that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory ..."

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:40 pm

Paidion, you ask, "isn't there a difference between a man's body and his bride?" Well, Ephesians 5:28-30 seems to equate Christ's body, the church, with His bride (verse 27). Also, look at 2 Corinthians 11:2.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:03 pm

Well, Ephesians 5:28-30 seems to equate Christ's body, the church, with His bride (verse 27)
Thanks Dwight. Clearly you are right. I was well aware of that passage, but just didn't think of it when I made my comments. In verse 32, Paul says that the mystery of the marriage relationship which he had been describing refers to Christ and the Church:

This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church.

And yes, in 2 Cor 11:2, Paul states that he has betrothed the Corinthian church to Christ.
Paidion

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Well, Ephesians 5:28-30 seems to equate Christ's body, the church, with His bride (verse 27)
Thanks Dwight. Clearly you are right. I was well aware of that passage, but just didn't think of it when I made my comments. In verse 32, Paul says that the mystery of the marriage relationship which he had been describing refers to Christ and the Church:

This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church.

And yes, in 2 Cor 11:2, Paul states that he has betrothed the Corinthian church to Christ.
Paidion

Return to “The Courtyard”