Jacob Martin Mertens introducing himself

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
JacobMartinMertens

Jacob Martin Mertens introducing himself

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:11 am

I feel it is a good time to introduce myself, being that my account has just been activated following registration.

I live in Washington State, and enjoy Torah study and Bible study. I own a Chumash and a TaNaKh and a New American Standard Bible.

Here are some of my favorite Bible verses, beginning with three passages that make up the shema.

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 NASB - 4 "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! 5 "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 "These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. 7 "You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. 8 "You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. 9 "You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Deuteronomy 11:13-21 NASB - 13 "It shall come about, if you listen obediently to my commandments which I am commanding you today, to love the LORD your God and to serve Him with all your heart and all your soul, 14 that He will give the rain for your land in its season, the early and late rain, that you may gather in your grain and your new wine and your oil. 15 "He will give grass in your fields for your cattle, and you will eat and be satisfied. 16 "Beware that your hearts are not deceived, and that you do not turn away and serve other gods and worship them. 17 "Or the anger of the LORD will be kindled against you, and He will shut up the heavens so that there will be no rain and the ground will not yield its fruit; and you will perish quickly from the good land which the LORD is giving you. 18 "You shall therefore impress these words of mine on your heart and on your soul; and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. 19 "You shall teach them to your sons, talking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road and when you lie down and when you rise up. 20 "You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates, 21 so that your days and the days of your sons may be multiplied on the land which the LORD swore to your fathers to give them, as long as the heavens remain above the earth.

Numbers 15:37-41 NASB - 37 The LORD also spoke to Moses, saying, 38 "Speak to the sons of Israel, and tell them that they shall make for themselves tassels on the corners of their garments throughout their generations, and that they shall put on the tassel of each corner a cord of blue. 39 "It shall be a tassel for you to look at and remember all the commandments of the LORD, so as to do them and not follow after your own heart and your own eyes, after which you played the harlot, 40 so that you may remember to do all My commandments and be holy to your God. 41 "I am the LORD your God who brought you out from the land of Egypt to be your God; I am the LORD your God."

Leviticus 19:18 NASB - 18 'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD.

Matthew 5:17-20 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

John 1:40-41 NASB, John 1:49 NASB - 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

Romans 5:8 NASB - 8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:10 NASB - For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

1 Corinthians 9:20-21 NASB - 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.

2 Corinthians 5:15 NASB - and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf.

Philippians 3:9 NASB - 9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith,

Colossians 1:13 NASB - For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son,
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

TheEditor

Re: Jacob Martin Mertens introducing himself

Post by TheEditor » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:49 pm

Welcome Jacob. :)

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:24 am

Welcome Jacob,
I had to look up what Chumash meant so now i know. I used to have a Tanach by Stone but lost it in moving but you inspired me to buy it.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:29 am

Greetings. Great collection of verses!
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:38 pm

steve7150 wrote:Welcome Jacob,
I had to look up what Chumash meant so now i know. I used to have a Tanach by Stone but lost it in moving but you inspired me to buy it.
I'm not sure how I inspired you.

If you have a Chumash or a Tanach there should be no problem in so far as you do not miss Yeshua/Jesus as the Messiah/Christ (God's Anointed).
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:46 pm

I'm not sure how I inspired you.

You just brought it back to my attention.

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:53 pm

steve7150 wrote:I'm not sure how I inspired you.

You just brought it back to my attention.
Did you say I inspired you to buy it?

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:19 am

Did you say I inspired you to buy it?

I had meant to buy it and you brought back to my remembrance, hope this clarifies, time to move on.

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:08 pm

steve7150 wrote:Did you say I inspired you to buy it?

I had meant to buy it and you brought back to my remembrance, hope this clarifies, time to move on.
Okay. I suppose I don't know your circumstances. I believe you are talking about the TaNaKh or Tanach you meant to buy but lost in moving but which you say I just inspired you to buy (therefore you bought it?)? What you are saying is just a little bit confusing or unfamiliar to me. I hope my expressing that I don't understand you is helpful to you.

Return to “The Courtyard”