Sharing a Paper in March

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
mikew

Sharing a Paper in March

Post by mikew » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:57 pm

I wasn't sure whether to mention this...

I submitted a paper for an SBL regional conference in November and got approval to share that paper just before Christmas.

The paper is an alternative explanation of Paul's argument in Gal 2:15-18. My understanding of this passage goes back, officially, to 2012 when I was reading Galatians and making an outline of it in anticipation of a forthcoming commentary on Galatians. When the commentary came out and I read about the difficulty of interpreting that passage (or really including vv 19-21), I looked back at my outline and realized my analysis was unique. It then seemed logical to write on this so as to practice my writing skills in effort to get more of a scholarly approach.
Just to shorten the discussion, many things came together in November to help me have a paper ready. I submitted it on two ideas. First, my explanation could be interesting enough to get some attention. Second, there was no risk in submitting it -- no loss.

As such I shall be reading/sharing my paper in Claremont in March.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

jaydam

Re: Sharing a Paper in March

Post by jaydam » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:02 pm

Congrats!

Hopefully we will see it in the essay section one of these days or you can link to it. I'd be interested in seeing it whenever you are ready to offer it to the general public.

That passage is on the docket for me this semester as one I have to consider in a larger project.

You said that you found your perspective to be unique when compared to that commentary. Have you found your perspective to be entirely unique or have you found others who agree with you?

mikew

Post by mikew » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:57 pm

jaydam wrote:Congrats!

Hopefully we will see it in the essay section one of these days or you can link to it. I'd be interested in seeing it whenever you are ready to offer it to the general public.

That passage is on the docket for me this semester as one I have to consider in a larger project.

You said that you found your perspective to be unique when compared to that commentary. Have you found your perspective to be entirely unique or have you found others who agree with you?
Thanks for the congrats.

I am hoping to find an avenue for publishing either a shorter article for this or for a book on Gal 1-2. When I get a better sense of publishing issues, I may be able to share a version of this paper. I should be able to share a summary of it.

My proposal is entirely unique from anything I've found in the commentaries and journal articles on Gal 2:15-18. This includes writers such as Lambrecht, Dunn, Das, Burton, Findlay, Moo, Schreiner, Ardnt, and Jewett.

Much of what had been written on Gal 1 and 2 has to be rethought. This includes, for argument against some views of Gal 2:15-16, identification of the rivals as non-Christ-followers among the Jews. And much of the attempts to identify undocumented agreements in Gal 2:1-10 are rejected.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:51 pm

I just hope it isn't another complicated way to make into legalism after all...

mikew

Post by mikew » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:20 pm

Wow. I barely remember that I shared that paper.

I ended up getting a long list of issues with it (such as unclear use of other scholar's views) and only recently started another version of analysis of Gal 2:15-18 and the broader Antioch Incident. I will wait (longer) to share that paper but will probably share a short summary on another topic.

Return to “The Courtyard”