Hi everyone, and let's give a big hand to theology!

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
DeGraff

Hi everyone, and let's give a big hand to theology!

Post by DeGraff » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:51 pm

I've been a lurker, reading this forum for months. After 3 weeks of being vetted, the admin has given me the go-ahead for posting.

Like many of you, I've come through the long ordeal of shedding almost every doctrine I once held dear. I went forward and declared my loyalty and belief in Christ the week after I read "The Late Great Planet Earth" at the age of 13. It was a big improvement over "Chariots of the Gods" which I was reading the week before that. I'm not sure which book I find more unpleasant, but God came through with Hal Lindsey in spite of the content.

When I try to discuss theological topics with pastors, it sometimes feels like they are thinking "Isn't that sweet. He's actually interested in subjects I studied in seminary because I had to. Oh well, he'll lose interest soon enough." With laypersons, being interested in theology makes you the most boring kind of nerd there is. What neither understands is what it's like to be obsessed with understanding what the truth is (or getting as close as possible with the information we have).

It makes big difference whether the rapture is imminent or not, whether hell is eternal pain for one sin, or whether God has already decided each and every person's eternal destiny and they are powerless to change course. These are not like the proverbial arguing over how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

Anyway, I look forward to joining in the discussions. I'm not as fluent in Preterism as many are here, so go easy on me when I ask dumb questions or present lame theories of my own.

Terry

morbo3000

Re: Hi everyone, and let's give a big hand to theology!

Post by morbo3000 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:45 pm

Welcome! Glad to have you. Look forward to hearing your input or questions.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

steve

Post by steve » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Thanks for joining us, Terry!

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:33 pm

What's up man, you wrote:...being interested in theology makes you the most boring kind of nerd there is.
Lol, thanks for that. Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy the interaction. I'm mostly a lurker myself for the past year or so, but I still much appreciate the edification this forum provides.

Grace and peace to you.
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

DeGraff

Post by DeGraff » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks for the welcomes.

A bit more background:
1960-73: Non-churchgoing parents, so only attended on Easter or maybe Mother's Day for my grandma
1974-78: Involved in "Christian Church" youth group. (Campbellite, Ozark Christian College, etc)
1979-87: Worked with Keith Green until he died in plane crash, continued 5 more years. Influences were YWAM, Leonard Ravenhill, Art Katz.
1988-97: Moved to California. Worked at Maranatha! Music and Frontline Records as art director. Served at Ocean Hills Community Church, San Juan Capistrano.
1998-05: Moved to Oceanside. Worked 6 years at a design studio, and then one year art directing for Purpose Driven Publishing (Saddleback Church).
2006-present: Freelance graphic design, plus serving at New Song Church, Oceanside. This is the period of seriously retooling belief systems.

I hope to attend the Thursday morning group in Temecula soon.

DeGraff

Post by DeGraff » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:00 am

In my chronology I left out the most important parts:
1982: Married my wife Carol (34 years now!)
1987-94: Became father to 2 sons and a daughter

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:00 pm

Terry, you say you were influenced by Art Katz! (His mother called him, "Aaron"). I distinctly remember his mother at Ben Israel.

While Art was still living, I went to Ben Israel for many years. We were also privileged to have Art staying with us in our home when he was ministering in our area.

At first, I began going to Camp Dominion nearby, where Charles Schmitt and Art Katz were the main speakers. (Oh yes, Dotty, Charles' wife, spoke quite a bit also). Huge crowds attended Camp Dominion in those days.

Also, I met Jeannie (who is now my wife) at Ben Israel in 1998.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

DeGraff

Post by DeGraff » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:14 pm

Hi Paidion,

Art Katz visited our ministry twice between 1980 and 1982. We would close down for a day and he would teach a morning and afternoon message. The ones I remember being "Priests Unto Him" and "Elijah at Mount Carmel". Looking back, it was a bigger deal having Art, Keith Green and Leonard Ravenhill all part of the same service. Keith leading worship, Art preaching, and Leonard praying.

After leaving LDM, I kept up with Ben Israel. Their newsletter stopped coming to me around 2000. I looked them up, and called the number to get back on track and Art answered the phone. So gracious, we probably talked for 5-10 minutes.

steve

Post by steve » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:59 pm

DeGraff,

Were you at LDM when they were in Woodland Hills? If so, we might have crossed paths. I visited there for about a week in 1979. Keith approached me about becoming an elder there, but I was a single dad with a five-year-old daughter, and their living situation didn't seem suitable for me with a little girl to live there. Did you do artwork for the Last Days Newsletter? I loved the cover art.

Also, you worked as art director at Maranatha! Music. Did you know my friend Gary Delacy? He did the cover art for quite a few of the albums in the late 70s and early 80s. He was one of my closest friends in the early 70s.

From what you said about coming to the Temecula morning studies, I wondered if you are living in this area? If so, we would be glad to get to know you.

DeGraff

Post by DeGraff » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:03 pm

Hi Steve,

I was in on the tail end of the Woodland Hills era. I arrived in July '79 and we drove caravan-style cross country to East Texas in September. My twin brother and I worked on the Newsletter, him doing cover art, while I handled the layout and design, plus an occasional illustration.

Gary was my go-to freelance designer. I'm still in touch with him via Facebook, but I haven't seen him in 20 years.

Terry

Return to “The Courtyard”