Update on Hurricane Ike

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
darinhouston

Update on Hurricane Ike

Post by darinhouston » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:30 am

Just a quick update on the storm -- we returned to Houston today after we received word that we had lost part of our roof. Praise God, we had minimal ceiling damage and neighbors had gone in and moved furniture, etc., and my brother-in-law had spare shingles and roofing materials we threw in a truck and went up and papered and re-roofed the area and returned home (six hours drive time).

A previous home owner had left the roofing materials in his storage shed and we JUST had enough to finish the job -- it's not pretty, but God provided just what we needed. We're back in San Antonio and will wait for power to return before returning to Houston. That could be weeks or a month or more, and we may not get a roofer to re-do our "patch job" for a number of months.

Many people had "tarps," so we are very blessed to have had the roofing material available.

We're safe with my in-laws, and our son is having a blast playing with his cousins, so until I can get back to work, we'll probably be here in S.A.

Thank you for your prayers. Pray for the many people who have lost their homes or are living in barely habitable situations.

Sean

Re: Update on Hurricane Ike

Post by Sean » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:51 am

Thanks for the update. I was going to ask, but I'm glad you mentioned it first. Good to hear your damage was minimal and everyone is ok. It's always heart warming to hear another person say that there was "just enough". God provides what we need, when we need it. I'm going to try an watch the news this morning to see what kind of damage has been done overall (I haven't heard a lot of info yet).
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:23 am

Hi Darin,

I was thinking about and praying for you and your family yesterday as the news was coming in.

I'm so grateful to the Lord that you and your family are alright, that the damage was minimal, and that you had just enough supplies for repairs. Thanks so much for checking in!

Michelle

Allyn

Post by Allyn » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:13 pm

Great News

Sean

Post by Sean » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:23 pm

Wow, we just had the remnants of hurricane Ike come through the St. Louis area earlier today and it flooded many areas in just a few hours. High wind knocked down trees and downed power lines all over the place. Not just roads but homes were flooded, killing a few people in the process. This was record setting rainfall/flash flooding. I never thought a hurricane could cause that kind of damage this far from the ocean! :shock:
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:01 pm

We have (had) a sailboat we keep (kept) on Galveston Bay -- here are some images from our marina. Ours is (was) the "sunk" one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darinhouston

TK

Post by TK » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:23 pm

sorry to see that, darin.

do you know what caused it to sink(i mean- is there a huge hole or something? any chance of salvaging it? BTW- i know nothing abotu sailboats.

TK

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:28 pm

TK wrote:sorry to see that, darin.

do you know what caused it to sink(i mean- is there a huge hole or something? any chance of salvaging it? BTW- i know nothing abotu sailboats.

TK
Probably a hole from a piling or something, but we won't know until it's hauled -- the cranes are supposed to show up this week. Probably not a chance of salvage.

Return to “The Courtyard”