Prayers to the Saints/Mary

darinhouston

Re: Prayers to the Saints/Mary

Post by darinhouston » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:28 pm

anochria wrote:If we have direct access to the Father because of Christ, as was said rightly by Paidion, why do we as Christians intercede on each other's behalf in prayer, or ask for others to pray for us?

And if we are to intercede on one other's behalf and ask for others to pray for us, as Scripture indicates, then wouldn't it be logical that those who are seated with Christ, reigning with him (ie, the departed saints) would be worthy candidates to pray to the Father on our behalf?

I'm veiling my personal beliefs on this for a moment in hopes of reigniting this discussion, which I think is missing a few peices 8-) Thoughts on these questions?
Sure, if we had any reasonable basis to believe that the saints could hear our pleas, then why not? But, that's precisely the problem here and begs the question -- we don't believe the saints in heaven have any ability to hear our prayers.

But, also, most who venerate the saints/mary do more than ask them to petition Christ on our behalf. They believe much more generally about the power of the saints/mary to "DO" things for us, and to grant us things. This is a different point, but is leads to the points regarding worship.

anochria

Post by anochria » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:36 pm

Sure, if we had any reasonable basis to believe that the saints could hear our pleas, then why not? But, that's precisely the problem here and begs the question -- we don't believe the saints in heaven have any ability to hear our prayers.
I think there is a reasonable basis to believe that it is possible., based on arguments from Rev. 20 and elsewhere (see my thread on Reigning with Christ ).

That said, does this mean we should make hard and fast doctrine out of speculation and things we might imply from certain Scriptures? No. But, it does indicate to me that the problem with the Roman Catholic doctrines on this issue is not so much that some of them aren't possible, but that they are highly speculative.
Pastor Josh Coles, Aletheia Christian Fellowship
Visit the Aletheia Discussion Forums

Jill

Post by Jill » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:01 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anochria

Post by anochria » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:44 pm

Here are a few examples of how God calls us, in imitation of his Son, to intercede in prayer for one another.

1 Timothy 2:1-4

1I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— 2for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Colossians 4:12

Epaphras, who is one of you and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends greetings. He is always wrestling in prayer for you, that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured.

Philemon 1:22

And one thing more: Prepare a guest room for me, because I hope to be restored to you in answer to your prayers.

James 5:14

Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.

Of course all the power of intercession belongs to the Father, but He has chosen to interweave us together through intercessory prayer on each other's behalf. It's part of God's emphasis on creating a family, not a individualized self-help program, right?

Jill

Post by Jill » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

anochria

Post by anochria » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:47 am

Useless would be the prayer of the wicked in times of a crisis I would think. And those who have been negligent to the express word of God. Do you think the mere prayers of the religiously pious avail anything more than just a do-gooder placation?
Did something I said cause you to insinuate that I think that?

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:38 am

anochria wrote:
I think there is a reasonable basis to believe that it is possible., based on arguments from Rev. 20 and elsewhere (see my thread on Reigning with Christ ).

That said, does this mean we should make hard and fast doctrine out of speculation and things we might imply from certain Scriptures? No. But, it does indicate to me that the problem with the Roman Catholic doctrines on this issue is not so much that some of them aren't possible, but that they are highly speculative.
I haven't read your linked post, but this is essentially where I stand on the subject.

Jill

Post by Jill » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:53 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anochria

Post by anochria » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:56 pm

I'm sorry. I guess I just don't understand the point you were driving at.

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Roman Catholicism”