Is the Roman Catholic Church the Kingdom?

Paidion

Re: Is the Roman Catholic Church the Kingdom?

Post by Paidion » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Remember what I said about this forum being anti-Catholic?
This forum is not anti-Catholic.

Personally, I have as many or more differences with Protestant teaching in general than I do with Catholic teaching. I am not Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant. Yet, I am (small "c") catholic.The word simply means "universal". There is only one universal Church of Christ; you can't join it;it is the Church to which God continually adds members. You can join clubs or organizations. The Church of Christ is not a club or an organization; it is an organism. Paul described it as the body of Christ and compared it to a human body with it various parts and organs.

God has established overseers and deacons in His Church, and has indicated that that the five-fold ministry would remain with us until we all come into the unity of the faith.

And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ; so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of teaching, by the cunning of men, by their craftiness in deceitful wiles. Ephesians 4:11-14
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:07 pm

Another point in response to tom -- we could easily point to atrocities done in the "name of" the Catholic church (consider the troubles with priests of late). That is more akin to your suggestion of Protestant atrocities. That would be unfair to the RC Church (though their failure as an organized institution supposedly controlling such things does speak to the likelihood of apostolic authority in their leadership), but it is a very different thing to point to official atrocities by and the official positions of the very popes and bishops that you would suggest had the blessing and authority of the apostles from Christ Himself.

I think it's important for RC apologists to realize that we do not have some sort of competing Protestant "church" organization that we think is superior or more authoritative to the RC organization. So, comparisons of things done in the name of protestants does nothing to detract from the arguments against holy authority/infallibility of the RC magesterium etc. Those assertions really must be defended and responded to without reference to the non-Catholic church because we make VERY different claims you and I as to our traditions, and thus have a different standard to bear with respect thereto.

Frankly, though, I don't feel the need to point to the RC atrocities throughout History -- I believe the very traditions and dogmas can be debated on their own merit, but there is definitely a RC presupposition that we can't get through with logic or biblical example/argument if you don't at least individually acknowledge within yourself some doubt as to the infallibility and authority of the church organization and leadership, themselves.

tom

Post by tom » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:59 pm

We do confess to being against Catholic dogma and much of its distinct doctrines, but that doesn't mean we are not objective or reasonable or that we somehow don't like individual Catholics or are out to "get" you.
That's my point. Are we here to discuss teaching and how it is supported by Scripture. Or are we here to point fingers? When you attack the Church you attack the members! For it's short history, Protestants have killed many in the name of Christianity! We don't want to go there

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:05 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:54 pm

tom wrote:
We do confess to being against Catholic dogma and much of its distinct doctrines, but that doesn't mean we are not objective or reasonable or that we somehow don't like individual Catholics or are out to "get" you.
That's my point. Are we here to discuss teaching and how it is supported by Scripture. Or are we here to point fingers? When you attack the Church you attack the members! For it's short history, Protestants have killed many in the name of Christianity! We don't want to go there
Excuse me? We're not pointing fingers, but we do intend to persuade one another when we thing they are wrong. We don't have any intention in providing biblical support for false teachings. If that's what you're looking for, this is the wrong forum -- we're seeking truth.

Now, as to protestants and its supposed "short history," it is impossible to say that some "protestant church" has killed any. Certainly, individual protestants have done things, but there is no such thing as a "Protestant church" corporate. That's my point. If you think there is such a "body" to fight, you may be "tilting at windmills."

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:22 pm

Murf

Post by Murf » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:47 pm

Is the RCC the Kingdom?

The short answer is no according to John 18:36 "Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would fight so that I might not be delivered to the Jews. But now My kingdom is not from here. "

No man-made institution is the Kingdom since they are all of this world.

Jill

Post by Jill » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:46 pm

tom

Post by tom » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:44 am

Murf wrote:Is the RCC the Kingdom?

The short answer is no according to John 18:36 "Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would fight so that I might not be delivered to the Jews. But now My kingdom is not from here. "

No man-made institution is the Kingdom since they are all of this world.
Murf,

Just for clairifacation, is His Kingdom in heaven? If not where is it?

Tom

Murf

Post by Murf » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Tom
your question about "Just for clairifacation, is His Kingdom in heaven? If not where is it?" could start a whole thread of its own. Probabaly already has somewhere on this foroum.

My (short answer) view is that the Kingdom is everyone who submits to Jesus' Kingship. Everyone already in Heaven and those on earth who submit.

Return to “Roman Catholicism”