Converting to the RCC

steve

Re: Converting to the RCC

Post by steve » Tue May 26, 2009 11:03 am

Paidion's question is an excellent one, and challenges the institutional authority of every organized group. Only the RCC and the Orthodox claim to have a good answer to the challenge—they both claim to possess authority from apostolic succession (but, since they can't both be correct, one is left to wonder which (if either) of them really possesses this authority. Interestingly, they both respect each other's authority as movements, though one of them must be regarded as a rebel split from the other.

To Thomas’ comment that a community without leadership would be much worse (apparently more easily corrupted) than even a presbyterian form of government, Darin wrote:
Unless that leader is Christ, of course. Obviously, you need earthly leadership, too, but leadership doesn't necessary imply one or more "in charge."
Thomas replied:
I beg to disagree.

Matt.28:20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you...

The Church is an earthly institution and Christ works through humans to administer His church.
If the Church were indeed an "earthly institution" (as it appears to be to the eye of flesh) then it would certainly be sensible to say that it, like all worldly organizations, must have some kind of earthly hierarchy of official leaders. I am not opposed to a group having official leaders, if that becomes necessary, as Paul and Barnabas apparently deemed it to be in some of their young churches. Where my concerns kick-in are when people think the churches must have worldly leaders, simply because they think of the church as a worldly institution.

I understand the church to be a heavenly institution. All of its most important components—the Father of the family, the Head of the body, the apostolic leadership group, which Christ appointed, and even the citizenship of its members presently domiciled on earth—all are said to be "in Heaven." This does not leave much to define the Church as "earthly." The Body, whose Head is in heaven, has a few of its members still on earth—though millions (sometimes called the Church Triumphant) have already gone on to heaven.

The most significant feature of the Church that is on earth is the presence of the Holy Spirit, who has been given to the members of the Church Militant to guide them through the duration of their pilgrimage here.

Like all things heavenly, the Church is spiritual in nature, not political or religious. Its membership is spiritual, based upon spiritual birth (John 3:3, 5). Its worship is spiritual, not ritual (John 4:24). Its assignment (to love as Jesus loved) is also spiritual—a fruit of the Holy Spirit (John 13:34/Gal.5:22). Whatever earthly leadership may exist in the church militant, if genuine and appropriate, would also be spiritual (Rom.12:6-8/1 Cor.16:15-16/1 Thess.5:12-13/Heb.13:7).

An organization without formal leaders is chaotic and subject to corruption, if it is not a spiritual institution, made up of spiritual people. In fact, such a carnal organization is as easily corrupted despite the formal appointment of leaders, since the group described is unspiritual, it will make unspiritual choices of leaders. This is not theory, it is the history of all churches which have been “earthly institutions”—no less of Catholics than of Protestants.

The problem would appear to be inherent in the nature of institutionalized religion, in general—which is why (as near as we can tell from scripture), Jesus did not institutionalize His movement. Instead, He put His own Spirit into each true member. Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is much liberty. Christians are not required to immediately come into doctrinal agreement with each other about all things. We are required only to love God with all our hearts and to love each other as He loves us. All Christians begin to do this, though imperfectly, the very day the the Holy Spirit takes possession of them, for this is the very fruit that proves Him to be present in us.

Thomas wrote:
A person left to himself will define the scriptures in such a way to follow that which he chooses and ignore that which is difficult. Following self-defined rules is not obedience, it is merely following ones own inclinations.

This is certainly a good description of the behavior of unspiritual people playing at religion. It is not a description of people who are disciples of Jesus, filled with His Spirit, and seeking only to do His will. Those who are not the latter are probably not members of the true Body of Christ, and it would be good, as early as possible, to have the Church rid of them so that she can get on with the business of the Kingdom.

Thomas wrote:
There must be those in charge who teach and to define that which is to be obeyed...One can obey only when the rules and proper behavior are defined by someone apart from oneself. Obedience is following the rules when you don't really want to.

Or as they always say in the Army , "You have to do it , you don`t have to like it"

The reasoning here is very difficult for me to grasp. The idea appears to be that some group of living people is needed in order to “define” the necessary “rules,” etc. Yet, the verse Thomas quoted was Matthew 28:20, which says that disciples are to be taught to do the things that Jesus commanded. Doesn’t that mean that Jesus did all the defining? It doesn’t look as if Jesus left a lot to be done by “doctrine developers.” Jesus did not tell the apostles to innovate. He told them to teach people to keep His commandments. Since we all have access to those commandments, presumably, those who are competent to teach them can do so without being themselves holders of special authoritative offices.
The problem is to determine who is a legitimate authority , i.e. who has the right to tell you you are sinning and need to repent.
If I am sinning, it takes no clergyman to tell me I must repent. That is a service that any member of the Body of Christ can perform for another. If there is any qualification required in order to reprove and restore one who is erring, that qualification is suggested in Galatians 6:1—"You who are spiritual restore such a one..." Why doesn't Paul set the clergy on this task?

steve

Post by steve » Tue May 26, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi Homer!

You wrote:
After all, appointed elders are certainly biblical.
I would want to put a finer point on this remark. I would say that the appointment of elders, as a concept, certainly has biblical precedent. But the way your comment stands, one might get the impression that any modern-day elders, who have been somehow "appointed," possess biblical legitimacy. As you know, there are many groups who have appointed elders, where the very existence of the group itself has little legitimacy, or where their elders are not scripturally legitimate because they do not meet biblical qualifications—e.g., a Roman Catholic bishop who is not "the husband of one wife"—or a priest who is a pedophile. Unfortunately, the idea of "appointment to office" allows such men to exercise authority over believers, though they do not possess biblical or spiritual qualifications.

You observed:
I spent most of my career managing and working with people and have seen at work (and church) how leadership arises the "de facto" way and often the results are not good. The person(s) who become de facto leaders are likely to be those who are the more assertive, aggressive, or even "bully" types.
This does happen, when the ones who become subject to the bullies are not Spirit-led believers. If they are truly Christ's sheep, Jesus has assured us that they know their Shepherd's voice. "Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers" (John 10:4-5).

Those who follow the bad guys do not long remain among those who follow Jesus. Either the former break-off and start their own splinter group, excluding all who do not recognize their leader, or else the true Christians, finding that a group has fallen into the grip of such a wolf, take their families out and look elsewhere for true fellowship. When such a split happens, it is painful, but it serves a good purpose, according to Paul:

"for there must be factions among you in order that those who are genuine among you may be recognized." (1 Cor.11:19 ESV).

There is an ongoing "sifting" of wheat and chaff (Amos 9:9/Luke 22:31), so that the true church is continually self-purifying. As soon as you institutionalize membership and leadership, this sifting process becomes either impossible, or else a big, ugly mess.

Now, I know that true sheep can thoughtlessly be misled briefly by wolves in sheep's clothing, and that bullying types often do infiltrate the congregations and seek to gain power—as in the instructive case of Diotrephes (3 John 9-10). Now there is a case of evil "de facto" leadership if ever there was one! Diotrephes was a charismatic, influential, bullying-type of thug in the church, but the congregation he terrorized apparently did not have official offices up for grabs, so that his evil leadership had no opportunity to become institutionalized, as it would have by his obtaining an office in the church. Instead, he simply bullied the spineless members of the congregation in an unofficial capacity (would not John have instructed that Diotrephes be ejected from office, if he had held one?).

It is interesting how John handles this case. He does not call upon elders to bring this man under control (surely he would have done so, if there had been such elders available). John simply calls upon Gaius, a hospitable church member, to use his own discernment!

In the church, there were bad examples (like Diotrephes), and there were good examples (like Demetrius—v.12). It would appear that neither man held anything like an office in the church. Their influence was charismatic, not political. John's advice to Gaius is that he should recognize and imitate the good (Demetrius) and not imitate the bad (Diotrephes)—v.11.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue May 26, 2009 12:34 pm

Your post was interesting to me, Steve. I haven't been able to fully understand these assertions:
I am not opposed to a group having official leaders, if that becomes necessary, as Paul and Barnabas apparently deemed it to be in some of their young churches.
It seems you are referring to the following passage:

But when the disciples gathered about [Paul], he rose up and entered the city; and on the next day he went on with Barnabas to Derbe. When they had preached the gospel to that city and had made many disciples, they returned to Lystra and to Iconium and to Antioch, strengthening the souls of the disciples, exhorting them to continue in the faith, and saying that through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God. And when they had appointed elders for them in every church, with prayer and fasting they committed them to the Lord in whom they believed. Acts 14:20-23 RSV

Do you think then that these elders were appointed as a temporary necessity, and were not a permanent office in the Church? If so, that position seems to be contradicted by the fact that the the ministry of elders of the church was continued to be mentioned throughout the book of Acts. Also, Paul indicates to Timothy in 5:17 that elders should even be financially assisted, if the "honor" mentioned is financial support as it seems to be in the New Testament.

Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching

I also notice that Paul gives to Timothy certain criteria for qualifying as an overseer in the Church. Overseers and elders seem to refer to the same ministry (or possibly "office").
Where my concerns kick-in are when people think the churches must have worldly leaders, simply because they think of the church as a worldly institution.
By "worldly leaders", do you mean those who need to be "qualified" through certain prescribed education? If that is the case, I agree. But it is my thought that God Himself established overseers in His church in order to help preserve the teaching of Christ and the apostles, and that this ministry was meant to be permanent.

Therefore it says, "WHEN HE ASCENDED ON HIGH, HE LED CAPTIVE A HOST OF CAPTIVES, AND HE GAVE GIFTS TO MEN." Ephesians 4:8 NASB

And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ. As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming... Ephesians 4:11-14 NASB

Since we have not yet attained to the unity of the faith, have not God's gifts to men, (the ministries of apostles, prophets, shepherds, and teachers) continued to this very day? Are not the "shepherds" the "overseers" or "elders"?

I was also trying to understand your thinking in the following statement:
Only the RCC and the Orthodox claim to have a good answer to the challenge—they both claim to possess authority from apostolic succession (but, since they can't both be correct, one is left to wonder which (if either) of them really possesses this authority. Interestingly, they both respect each other's authority as movements, though one of them must be regarded as a rebel split from the other.
In what sense did you mean "they can't both be correct"? Did you mean in beliefs? The beliefs of the Church gradually changed throughout the years (in spite of God's gift of the five ministries). The early catholic belief differed substantially from the later catholic belief. So it would seem that the difference in the present Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox beliefs is not crucial in the sense that either branch should be considered as a "rebel split" from the other.

I discovered by reading a pamphlet at the back of an Anglican (Episcopalian) Church, that they, too, consider themselves as being able to trace their episcopacy (overseership) directly to the original 12 Apostles. They do not regard themselves as Protestants.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

thomas

Post by thomas » Tue May 26, 2009 1:11 pm

Hola Steve:

The Church is God's Kingdom on earth , so it is both earthly and heavenly. And filled with fallable humans.
The problem would appear to be inherent in the nature of institutionalized religion, in general—which is why (as near as we can tell from scripture), Jesus did not institutionalize His movement
And yet when I look at it , I see the institution from the very beginning. He chose the Apostles. The Apostles in turn choose others as leaders , such as Barnabas and Titus , who in turn choose others. The leadership structure is there and is being built in Acts. And has been continued since.
The reasoning here is very difficult for me to grasp. The idea appears to be that some group of living people is needed in order to “define” the necessary “rules,” etc. Yet, the verse Thomas quoted was Matthew 28:20, which says that disciples are to be taught to do the things that Jesus commanded. Doesn’t that mean that Jesus did all the defining?
Rather idealistic , the problem is that in practice there are an awfull lot of people willing to do the defining of what Jesus commanded , and to teach their particular version of it.

When Paul ran into a dispute in Acts 15 he took it to the council in Jerusalem , the authoratative body of it's time , in order to get a decision.

When a dispute arrises it should not go to "those who are the more assertive, aggressive, or even "bully" types." as Homer puts it. Authority is called for.

There are plenty of disputes today between people , in just the area of determining what a sin is. Or in more human terms , if I have a beer with my pizza , is it a sin? My mother would say yes , my father no. To whom do I appeal? Myself? A small matter perhaps , but it applys to greater things as well.
Dios te bendiga y te guarde

steve

Post by steve » Tue May 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Paidion wrote:
Do you think then that these elders were appointed as a temporary necessity, and were not a permanent office in the Church? If so, that position seems to be contradicted by the fact that the the ministry of elders of the church was continued to be mentioned throughout the book of Acts. Also, Paul indicates to Timothy in 5:17 that elders should even be financially assisted, if the "honor" mentioned is financial support as it seems to be in the New Testament.
I read nowhere in the Bible of "second-generation" elders. By that, I do not mean to suggest that the second generation of the church had no elders, but rather that there is no mention of succession from one generation of elders to the next. In view of the fact that the Corinthian church, at the time of Paul's writing, clearly had no appointed elders, and that the church dominated by Demetrius apparently had none (nor does it seem that there were any in Thessalonica), it would appear that the appointment of elders was done on a "need to" basis, and was not done as an automatic part of planting a church. If the needs which called for the appointment of elders in a given church ceased to exist in the church, there is no reason to believe that the elders had to be replaced upon their death—nor even, necessarily, that they had to hold office for life. In my opinion, there was no "office" that needed to be filled, but there were individuals who arose to serve in the emergencies, and who were officially recognized in the church as reliable teachers and great examples.

The financial support of elders was also, I am sure, on a "need" basis. If a man served the church as a leader, but these duties did not take him away from his other profitable labors, there might be no need for the church to be burdened with his support. However, there were some, whose "labor" was "in preaching and teaching" (1 Tim.5:17), and whose ministry activities (like those of the Levites) precluded them from holding additional employment. These were especially supposed to be supported financially. Even so, this does not mean that they held official "political" office in the church. For example, I send financial support to preachers and teachers overseas, who hold no office in any church I attend, and there are those who send financial support to me, though I hold no office in any church. Supporting such men does not mean that they hold a "paid position" in the church. It is simply along the lines of the church's general duties to help the poor of the congregation (which such ministers would surely be, if no one supported them!).
I also notice that Paul gives to Timothy certain criteria for qualifying as an overseer in the Church. Overseers and elders seem to refer to the same ministry (or possibly "office").
Yes. I believe that both 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1 provide instances of Paul's seeing the need to appoint what we might call "official teaching staff" for the church of Ephesus and for the churches of Crete. It is evident, from the contexts, that there was a special concern in these churches because of the presence of heretical teachers. Since there were good teachers in the church, as well as bad ones, Paul told Timothy and Titus to give official recognition to those who could be trusted. It is evident that the major qualifications had to do with godly character and well-ordered family relationships, more than with theological issues. IN all likelihood, the damage being done by the heretics was principally in the area of undermining Christian morals and character.

By "worldly leaders", do you mean those who need to be "qualified" through certain prescribed education? If that is the case, I agree. But it is my thought that God Himself established overseers in His church in order to help preserve the teaching of Christ and the apostles, and that this ministry was meant to be permanent.
My reference to "worldly" leaders meant leadership roles that exist because of the worldly idea that a group of believers is a worldly organization (like the Kiwanis Club). You are right that God gives leadership to the church, but the leadership is not necessarily of an institutional type. What do I mean by "institutional type"? Take the military, for example. There are officers that must be obeyed. It makes no difference what kind of character is wearing the stripes; the authority resides in the office, not the individual holding the office. Any man—a George Patton or a Beetle Bailey—may hold the office and wear the stripes. The occupant is irrelevant. Underlings "salute the uniform"—not the character inside the uniform. This is institutional ("worldly") leadership.

Leadership in the Body of Christ is based upon virtue and upon the upholding of the truth. A virtuous man who upholds the truth will be followed by the church, whether he holds office or not. If he does hold office, this may be temporary, and may be entirely inconsequential. His authority does not reside in the office, but in spiritual qualifications. In the institutional churches, as in every worldly organization, the authority inheres in the office. Thus, the elected or appointed leaders must be obeyed (at least until they may be ejected from office), even if they are ungodly. This worldly idea is what lies behind the common phrase, "Do not touch God's anointed"—given as a rebuke to anyone who criticizes a pastor. The assumption seems to be that the mere fact that this scoundrel holds the "office" of pastor qualifies him to be seen as "the Lord's anointed." Any spiritually-minded Christian will see that this is nonsense, but they may not realize that the "nonsense" springs from this institutional model of church leadership.

Hebrews defines a leader of a church as one who has spoken the word of God to you, and who has a faith worthy of imitation (Heb.13:7). Their leadership is defined, not by an office they hold, but by the service they perform (see also 1 Thess.5:12-13). From the time of Ignatius (115 AD) onward, we begin to see institutionalism creeping into the definition of "overseers" in the formerly-apostolic congregations.

Therefore it says, "WHEN HE ASCENDED ON HIGH, HE LED CAPTIVE A HOST OF CAPTIVES, AND HE GAVE GIFTS TO MEN." Ephesians 4:8 NASB

And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ. As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming... Ephesians 4:11-14 NASB

Since we have not yet attained to the unity of the faith, have not God's gifts to men, (the ministries of apostles, prophets, shepherds, and teachers) continued to this very day? Are not the "shepherds" the "overseers" or "elders"?
Yes, they are. But the best example we know of a "shepherd/overseer" in the early church was Jesus HImself. What organization appointed Him? He was definitely God's "gift" to the church (as have been all true subsequent leaders), but His appointment was by God, and no religious organization of His day recognized HIm. The sheep knew His voice. Paul also emphasized that no man or group of men appointed him to his ministry (see Gal.1). He said he got called by Christ Himself. I believe this principle holds true of God's flock throughout the ages. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the modern church only had such leaders as God had called and gifted, and in whom the sheep recognized the voice of their Shepherd?
I was also trying to understand your thinking in the following statement:

"Only the RCC and the Orthodox claim to have a good answer to the challenge—they both claim to possess authority from apostolic succession (but, since they can't both be correct, one is left to wonder which (if either) of them really possesses this authority. Interestingly, they both respect each other's authority as movements, though one of them must be regarded as a rebel split from the other."

In what sense did you mean "they can't both be correct"? Did you mean in beliefs? The beliefs of the Church gradually changed throughout the years (in spite of God's gift of the five ministries). The early catholic belief differed substantially from the later catholic belief. So it would seem that the difference in the present Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox beliefs is not crucial in the sense that either branch should be considered as a "rebel split" from the other.
I am not talking about which church has correct doctrines. I am discussing which church has the more valid claim to being a continuation of the true line of apostolic succession. They can't both make this claim, since they split from each other a millennium ago, and have had different leaders from each other. The Roman Catholics believe that the bishop of Rome stands in the direct line of succession from Peter, and that the bishops stand in the line of succession from the other apostles. The Orthodox church believes similar things about their historical line of leaders, but they reject the claims of the Pope's apostolic authority. The two groups split in the eleventh century and each has claimed to be the group with apostolic succession ever since. Roman Catholics see theirs as the original church, and they see the Orthodox as the splitters. The Orthodox believe that they are the original church, and that the RCC are the splitters. In recent centuries, both groups have spoken more kindly of each other, but the fact remains that they can't both be in possession of the direct line of apostolic succession.
I discovered by reading a pamphlet at the back of an Anglican (Episcopalian) Church, that they, too, consider themselves as being able to trace their episcopacy (overseership) directly to the original 12 Apostles. They do not regard themselves as Protestants.
Since the Episcopal church's independent status and modern-day polity originated with a split from Rome (1533-1540), and with the novel idea that the Crown of England is the supreme head of the English national church, I don't see how this group can claim perpetual succession of its leaders back to the apostles—unless they want to say that their kings and queens somehow hold offices like those of the apostles, going back 2000 years. However, the apostles never ruled England, and the English monarchy did not exist in apostolic times.

I ran into a group called "Missionary Baptists," who make the claim that they are the true church going back to the apostles! These wild claims only are made because people are thinking of the Church as an earthly organization, whose political roots must be accurately traced through a series of leaders throughout history. This is, I believe, a fools' errand. The true Church has always consisted of every member of Christ's body—whose status is based upon a relationship of submission to the Head, and the possession of the same Spirit that is in the Head. Such people have never belonged to one single organization, and no organization has ever been exclusively made up of such people.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue May 26, 2009 1:44 pm

When Paul ran into a dispute in Acts 15 he took it to the council in Jerusalem , the authoratative body of it's time , in order to get a decision.
Do you believe Paul went to get a decision? or to resolve the conflict? One implies he was seeking answers -- the other implies he was seeking resolution to and agreement on the answer he was already quite clear about from his letter to the Galatians (and everything else he ever wrote, it seems).

steve

Post by steve » Tue May 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi Thomas,

I thought I would respond to a few of your points, though my posts to Homer and Paidion may have already covered some of your concerns.

You wrote:
The Church is God's Kingdom on earth , so it is both earthly and heavenly. And filled with fallable humans.
The Kingdom has its headquarters (where the Head resides) in heaven. It is a heavenly institution which has a colony on earth. This colony is directly subject to the Crown. The question then becomes: How does the King make His wishes known to the staff on the ground?

The Holy Spirit (like the nervous system) communicates the will of the Head to the parts of the body. So far, so good. I doubt that we could disagree about something so uncontroversial.

But via what avenue does the Holy Spirit communicate Christ’s desires to the members of His body? There are two theories. The first is that He has set up a local branch headquarters office on this planet. This office has official staff, special officers, etc., through whom the troops receive their marching orders from the King. Individual believers, rather than having access directly to the King, must learn his or her doctrines from this branch office—which often has been known to teach things contrary to the things taught by the King Himself, when He was on earth. The believer is also dependent upon this office to dispense nourishment and strength (grace) to the troops, in the form of ritual sacraments. Without the mediation of this office and its officers, the troops would wander off in the wrong direction and perish.

If this idea is correct (and if this office is to be identified with the RCC), then we will have to assume that, for hundreds of years, during the Middle Ages, the Holy Spirit chose as His instrument of communication to God’s people an organization that was governed by adulterers, thieves, heretics, etc. As long as Christians are merely required to “salute the uniform,” it doesn’t matter whether those who wear it are pagans, idolaters and charlatains.

I am personally thankful that God’s Kingdom is not run in such an inefficient and corrupt manner.

The other view is that every soldier has direct access to the headquarters in heaven, as the Holy Spirit carries the individualized instructions to the members of the body, and transports their prayers back to the throne room. Thus, the Holy Spirit by-passes the imaginary “branch headquarters” here, and communicates to the true Body of Christ directly (1 John 2:27). All of these believers, collectively, constitute the body of Christ, and they minister to each other's needs, encourage, strengthen, correct and work with each other, as the Holy Spirit gives each one his or her own assignment. The result is the presence of an almost-underground resistance movement, which, having landed in the territory occupied by their King's enemy, carry out His strategy of invasion, infiltration, recruitment and sabotage in the enemy's back yard. Sometimes this work is above ground and obvious. Other times it is driven by persecution into secrecy. In any case, it depends upon the supplies and strength sent from the King for its mission and survival. Even if all "branch offices" were to be turned into museums and barns by their enemies, and the movement remains unhindered.

You wrote:
I see the institution from the very beginning. He chose the Apostles. The Apostles in turn choose others as leaders , such as Barnabas and Titus , who in turn choose others. The leadership structure is there and is being built in Acts. And has been continued since.
The grid through which we read can be dangerous indeed. When I read the book of Acts, I see everywhere the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Appointing ad hoc leaders is not what I am referring to as institutionalization. Consulting the apostles for authoritative decisions is also not institutionalization (I consult them every day myself!).

I wrote:
Yet, the verse Thomas quoted was Matthew 28:20, which says that disciples are to be taught to do the things that Jesus commanded. Doesn’t that mean that Jesus did all the defining?
To which you responded:
Rather idealistic , the problem is that in practice there are an awfull lot of people willing to do the defining of what Jesus commanded , and to teach their particular version of it.
I suppose that spiritual things may sound idealistic to those who are looking at them from a different frame of reference. On these terms, God Himself is apparently very idealistic. He apparently believed that only those who have been born again have any part in the Kingdom (the True Church), and that one fact that accrues to all who have been thus reborn is that they all have the Holy Spirit. He also believed that the Spirit can lead the believer into all truth—to the extent that the believer does not really require men to tell him what to believe. He believed that Jesus' sheep will know His voice.

If this seems idealistic, or out of touch with reality, it may only be because we have been calling people "Christians" who have never been born again, have never repented in a biblical manner, have never fully embraced the lordship of Christ, and who do not possess the Spirit. If you were to meet such people, you might think that God is not overly idealistic.
Yes, but Paul was not looking to them for answers. He already knew the answer. He was looking for an official statement from the Jerusalem apostles that would silence the Jerusalem heretics who were chasing Paul around and undermining the Gospel. We find no other occasion of the apostles meeting like this. They did not have to do it again. They defined the Gospel correctly, once and for all. It won't need to be changed any more. Any new councils (like some of those held by the RCC) only end up changing the Gospel—something that Paul found unthinkable (Gal.1:8-9).
When a dispute arrises it should not go to "those who are the more assertive, aggressive, or even "bully" types." as Homer puts it. Authority is called for.
So true! The authority is Christ and His apostles. Their authoritative teachings, fortunately, have been faithfully recorded for us. It is to these records that we must first turn, if we would discover the mind of our Head.
There are plenty of disputes today between people , in just the area of determining what a sin is. Or in more human terms , if I have a beer with my pizza , is it a sin? My mother would say yes , my father no. To whom do I appeal? Myself? A small matter perhaps , but it applys to greater things as well.
Immature people do nit-pick. It is a sign of juvenility to be "wise above what is written." For this reason, there will be some who make rules for others that are not rules laid down in scripture (you know, things like abstaining from meat on Fridays, and clergy remaining celibate—that kind of stuff). Protestants have always had their share of these silly traditions. One follower of Christ may disagree with another as to whether drinking is appropriate or not, but the matter is easily resolved when the accuser of another is required to find basis in scripture for the definition of the sin about which he confronts another. In other words, if a man says to you, "You sin by drinking alcohol," your response should be, "I will repent and mend my ways, the very moment you show me where God's Word refers to my actions as being sinful." In the searching of the scripture that follows, you will be vindicated, and your accuser may actually learn something of value. I think all "sins" need to be handled this way.

thomas

Post by thomas » Tue May 26, 2009 2:24 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Do you believe Paul went to get a decision? or to resolve the conflict? One implies he was seeking answers -- the other implies he was seeking resolution to and agreement on the answer he was already quite clear about from his letter to the Galatians (and everything else he ever wrote, it seems).
I am sure he was not seeking a personal decision. He was seeking a judicial decision from a body who had the the authority to resolve the conflict. And it was the councils authority that was needed to resolve the conflict.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue May 26, 2009 2:53 pm

thomas wrote:
darinhouston wrote:
I am sure he was not seeking a personal decision. He was seeking a judicial decision from a body who had the the authority to resolve the conflict. And it was the councils authority that was needed to resolve the conflict.
If you assume that the council met before Paul's letter to the Galatians, why would Paul argue anything other than the authority of the council (which he didn't even reference)? What was his authority? Did Paul reference anything resembling an encyclical or "edict" of the coucil in the letter?

If you assume that Paul's letter preceded the meeting of the council, how is it (from the RCC perspective) that Paul could take such an authoritative stance on such a controversial subject without subjecting it to the council (particularly since those he was correcting even seemed to have spoken with apparent authority from the church at Jerusalem) ?

thomas

Post by thomas » Tue May 26, 2009 3:11 pm

Hola Steve:
If this seems idealistic, or out of touch with reality, it may only be because we have been calling people "Christians" who have never been born again, have never repented in a biblical manner, have never fully embraced the lordship of Christ, and who do not possess the Spirit. If you were to meet such people, you might think that God is not overly idealistic.
In fact I know quite a few. They are the ones that end up being fired or hounded out of the church.

I admit I'm looking at this more from a practical way. The great majority in the the church are immature , and it is the task of the church to grow these people up. Not to expell them. But my experience is that when ever two or more get together a conflict will arise. Maturity is not a cultural strong suite here in Latin America. I must do the best that I can.

My choices are RCC or to stay at home alone. And I do not have the ability or desire to organize or lead a small group , and being sacremental eliminates that anyway.

Return to “Roman Catholicism”