Purgatory

Amyfree

Purgatory

Post by Amyfree » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:51 am

I just want to know more about pergatory. Wish Steve would talk about that here online. =)

Paidion

Re: Purgatory

Post by Paidion » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:09 pm

It is possible that purgatory had its roots in the belief of early Christians that all people would eventually become reconciled to God, and that the purifying fires of Gehenna would be a primary means of accomplishing this end. Thus one might say that the early Christians believed in Gehenna as one big purgatory. However, Augustine and Jerome perpetrated their belief that those who go to Gehenna must be punished there everlastingly. So, as I see it, in order to teach eternal punishment as well as the historic teaching of purification, the Catholic Church of the day began to teach that some people who were not good enough to go to heaven and not bad enough to go to everlasting punishment in Gehenna, could be purified in purgatory, and eventually become fit for heaven.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

steve

Post by steve » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:54 pm

This is my impression about the origins of purgatory as well.

Amyfree

Post by Amyfree » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks Paidion and Steve; Holy to the Lord!

Return to “Roman Catholicism”