Catholics' View on Jesus and the Church

BrotherAlan

Catholics' View on Jesus and the Church

Post by BrotherAlan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:33 pm

What do Catholics really believe about Jesus and the Church? The short video on the following link gives a summary answer to any Protestants who honestly ask this question:
http://www.churchmilitant.tv/daily/?today=2013-11-07

In Christ,
BrotherAlan
"Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and always, and unto the ages of ages. Amen."

steve7150

Re: Catholics' View on Jesus and the Church

Post by steve7150 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:46 am

What do Catholics really believe about Jesus and the Church? The short video on the following link gives a summary answer to any Protestants who honestly ask this question:

It doesn't really answer specific questions but what bothers me the most about the RCC is how they carry on about Mary , way more then the bible does.

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:13 am

I am not a Roman Catholic. I agree that they blow Mary's role completely out of proportion, I don't like that they have essentially excluded non-Catholics from being Christians, and that they are quirky about things like transubstantiation. But, the more I read about their systematic explanation of soteriology the more impressed I am. Specifically, when listening to Sungenis' debate with white on salvation by faith,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZc4D-UrAeU

or Sungenis' humiliation of Matt Slick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZcXVLcx25c

I'm struck by how common sense their view of salvation is. I've only started Sungenis' book, so I can't tell you how good it is on the topic. In addition, I read through a book supposedly refuting Reformed soteriology,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188899 ... UTF8&psc=1

and thought parts of it were very good. I'm not persuaded that everyone has to be part of the same group (we'd say denomination) in order to be considered Christian, so I don't feel compelled to join the Roman Catholic Church. But, the theology behind some of their teaching is much tighter than some of the parallel Protestant teaching.

Doug

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:52 am

I have not had time to look at all the youtube videos yet, but I would like to say this.

I'm a Roman Catholic who converted from being Lutheran. I will be more than happy to discuss in detail the concerns and questions that anyone has with the Catholic Church. If I don't know the answer directly, I'll find it for you. We're all learning as time goes by. I firmly believe that the Catholic Church is the only true Church and is the only path to salvation (except in rare cases, but that's up to God, not me).

Let's talk. PM me if necessary. Esp you dwilkins. "churchmilitant" *sigh* take this with a grain of salt, he's not sanctioned by the Catholic Church. He probably has good things to say but he's not the voice of the Catholic Church.

Jon

TK

Post by TK » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:20 am

I firmly believe that the Catholic Church is the only true Church and is the only path to salvation
Gee whiz- I thought Jesus was the only path:

"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." Jn 14:6.

I don't have any desire to debate this but your statement is rather audacious. If men like John Wesley, Spurgeon, and Tozer weren't saved, I'll eat my hat.

TK

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:27 pm

We don't need to debate.

Of course Jesus is the only path. We're not debating that. Jesus founded the Catholic Church and with both the Bible and his teachings taught men how to be saved through his Grace. The only Church that has the fullness of this teaching is the Catholic Church. This is what I meant.

It is possible for anyone to be saved. No one can know nor judge but God, the eternal resting place for any individual. Many Catholics will most likely not be saved. Outside of the Catholic Church, usually salvation comes from an extreme circumstance and is not the way Jesus taught, so is probably less likely but not impossible. God gives us all our final judgement.

I pray that I won't be in a state of mortal sin when I die so I may eventually make it to Heaven.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:55 pm

Of course Jesus is the only path. We're not debating that. Jesus founded the Catholic Church and with both the Bible and his teachings taught men how to be saved through his Grace. The only Church that has the fullness of this teaching is the Catholic Church. This is what I meant.
Which Catholic Church? The Catholic Church prior to 1054 A.D. or one of the branches of the schism which occured in the Catholic Church in that year?

Do you think the Roman Catholic Church is the only true Church which "has the fullness of this teaching"? How do you know it is not the Eastern Orthodox Church?

Oh yes, I know that the Roman Church claims that it is the Eastern Orthodox Church split off from the historic Catholic Church. However, the Orthodox Church claims that the Roman Catholic Church split off from the historic Catholic Church. I don't see any basis for believing the Roman Catholic Church has any better basis for their claim that they are the continuation of the Catholic Church than has the Eastern Orthodox Church.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Paidion wrote:
Which Catholic Church? The Catholic Church prior to 1054 A.D. or one of the branches of the schism which occured in the Catholic Church in that year?

Do you think the Roman Catholic Church is the only true Church which "has the fullness of this teaching"? How do you know it is not the Eastern Orthodox Church?

Oh yes, I know that the Roman Church claims that it is the Eastern Orthodox Church split off from the historic Catholic Church. However, the Orthodox Church claims that the Roman Catholic Church split off from the historic Catholic Church. I don't see any basis for believing the Roman Catholic Church has any better basis for their claim that they are the continuation of the Catholic Church than has the Eastern Orthodox Church.
But do you believe that is at least one of the two that has the fullness of the Truth? Or do you believe neither have it? It makes no sense to debate with you which one I believe to be correct if you believe that neither are correct anyway.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:27 pm

But do you believe that is at least one of the two that has the fullness of the Truth? Or do you believe neither have it? It makes no sense to debate with you which one I believe to be correct if you believe that neither are correct anyway.
I'm not seeking a debate. I was merely pointing out that it doesn't make sense for either branch to claim that it is the ONLY true church which has continued from its establishment by Christ to the present.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:38 am

You say you are not seeking a debate yet you ask me to defend the Roman Catholic Church. That sounds like a debate. If you did not want to debate, why would you make the comment you did?

You didn't answer my question about which branch of the Catholic Church your agree with. I can only assume you agree with neither.

It may not make sense to you that either claim to be the true Church, but this makes more sense than any other claim given that does not have history to the time of Jesus. There is only one Truth. It makes more sense that Jesus founded his Church when he was here on earth vs. allowing all Christianity to be led astray for so long only to allow them to find the Truth hundreds of years later.

We can have a healthy debate about Roman Catholicism vs. Eastern Catholicism, but it is lunacy to think that at least one of them is not the Truth.

Return to “Roman Catholicism”