the Lord

Discuss your walk and aspects of the kingdom of God here with fellow brothers in the Lord.
jarrod

the Lord

Post by jarrod » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:46 pm

I was just thinking we try to formulate all of the concepts about the way God really is. We all differ so much (which we may discover if we really started digging), but that is OK. Once we choose to follow the True King, we are all on a "road to find out" "the narrow path."

As Christian infants in America, we are taught certain truths about God as the letter. The sad part is that sometimes we are fed the truths to memorize and repeat without the Spirit behind the understanding. We know we can use our intellect to remember things and perform functions -- praise the Lord for this ability. However, when we view Scripture primarily through a lens consisting of our intellect, I think we are very limited. I'm not saying most Christian's are not believers and do not possess the Spirit, I'm just saying I believe the church in America stops short in presenting the full message of the Kingdom. It seems to stop short at salvation and seems to insist, "don't worry about the way you're living your life."

And we accept that, because hey, most of us are comfortable are we not? We live in a land of plenty and we praise the Lord for all we have (rightfully so), but neglect to commit it _all_ to His purposes and kingdom. We hope to have our cake in this earthly kingdom (and we each have our 'kingdoms') and eat it too later in His kingdom.

We have all read the verse "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of heaven," and we settle for "well, I know I sin, but no one is perfect and I hope that isn't me." I think there is more assurance in the Lord than that. I believe there is a relationship that He wants from all of His children/subjects that takes a total commitment on our part. We have to want Him so bad that it doesn't matter what He is like, if He fits our view of Him, or if He lets us do what we like; because He is the true Lord.

The total commitment is seen in the next verse (sometimes skipped over): "but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." To know Him is: to be about His business and to lay down our _lives_ for Him. In doing so, we are granted _life_ and life _abundantly_.

So, all of this started because I just wanted to say, I accept the Lord however He is and whatever I don't know about Him is fine with me.

RICHinCHRIST

Re: the Lord

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Jarrod,

I just want to say that I find your posts very encouraging and practically focused. In times past, I've found that I've delved into doctrinal questions on this forum with an intellectual yearning but a lack of Spirit-led seeking. In fact, it is one of the reasons I left the forum for an extended period of time. I've become agnostic about the three views of hell, eschatology, and other intellectually rich concepts because I found myself too easy to change my mind. I found that I became distracted by trying to find all the best answers and not on trying to seek for the Holy Spirit behind the answers. I haven't given up on my pursuit of truth, but I feel like there is a great need for wrestling with concepts that are more essential (like discipleship, the kingdom of God, and Christian character). Hopefully this forum continues to stay focused on Jesus and on His kingdom. I'm yearning for good fellowship in my area (which is difficult to find), so I see theos.org as a resource by which we might continue to "exhort one another daily lest we be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin" (Heb 3:13). Everything else seems secondary.

Mitzi

Post by Mitzi » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:47 am

RICHinCHRIST wrote:Jarrod,

I just want to say that I find your posts very encouraging and practically focused. In times past, I've found that I've delved into doctrinal questions on this forum with an intellectual yearning but a lack of Spirit-led seeking. In fact, it is one of the reasons I left the forum for an extended period of time. I've become agnostic about the three views of hell, eschatology, and other intellectually rich concepts because I found myself too easy to change my mind. I found that I became distracted by trying to find all the best answers and not on trying to seek for the Holy Spirit behind the answers. I haven't given up on my pursuit of truth, but I feel like there is a great need for wrestling with concepts that are more essential (like discipleship, the kingdom of God, and Christian character). Hopefully this forum continues to stay focused on Jesus and on His kingdom. I'm yearning for good fellowship in my area (which is difficult to find), so I see theos.org as a resource by which we might continue to "exhort one another daily lest we be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin" (Heb 3:13). Everything else seems secondary.

Here's a quote from Oswald Chambers "My Utmost for His highest" from Aug 16 reading "When I have sadly misunderstood Him? (John 10:17.) It is possible to know all about doctrine and yet not know Jesus. The soul is in danger when knowledge of doctrine outsteps intimate touch with Jesus. Why was Mary weeping? Doctrine was no more to Mary than the grass under her feet. Any Pharisee could have made a fool of Mary doctrinally, but one thing they could not ridicule out of her was the fact that Jesus had cast seven demons out of her; yet His blessings were nothing in comparison to Himself. Mary "saw Jesus standing and knew not that it was Jesus . . ;" immediately she heard the voice, she knew she had a past history with the One who spoke. "Master!"...."

For me it's important to make sure my relationship and heart is in step with Him when I attempt to come to terms with these questions that continually pop up. If I've forgotten how to wash His feet with my tears and all I can think about is answering some mystery, I'm off track. We do have to grapple with understanding, but the most important thing is that we know the One who knows all things so it's a good habit to let things go, like you said above, rather than to let it dissuade you from the weightier matters. I find if I spend too much time pondering the mysteries and conflicts, and not enough time praying and worshiping and enjoying Him, then I'll get discouraged and miserable and feel as though the world is shrinking in on me, so I have to keep a balance.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:51 am

Jarrod wrote:So, all of this started because I just wanted to say, I accept the Lord however He is and whatever I don't know about Him is fine with me.
Yes, Jarrod. I'm sure all of us can make the same affirmation, a total willingness to accept Him as He is, understanding that there is much we don't know about Him.

However, some of us cannot accept what He isn't (but is claimed to be) — a god of vengeance and "justice" (which is understood as the infliction of penalty)—a god who sends the vast majority of people to an everlasting place of torment which serves no purpose whatever other than inflicting useless, unending penal punishment .
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:48 am

Right on, Jarrod (and others)! Thank you.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “The Kingdom”