Worry

Discuss your walk and aspects of the kingdom of God here with fellow brothers in the Lord.
jarrod

Worry

Post by jarrod » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:19 am

I was just thinking about the different thoughts that come to mind on a day to day basis. I will never doubt, because experience reconciles with Scripture, that there is a fleshly man present. But, there is also Spirit. When we commit fully to the Lord, He matches our commitment in His relationship and will always be a Helping presence.

Scripture has to be our guideline in my opinion. Being God-breathed, the Word can offer an understanding of the Holiness of the Lord, His character, and an understanding of His purpose for His subjects/children. When thoughts come into our mind that the Bible speaks about specifically, we can trust that to be true. When the Lord says, "be anxious for nothing, but..." I really believe it's true. Do you? If you do I believe that is a logical conclusion.

When thoughts come to mind that make me anxious, make me worry, I say we need to commit those to the Lord and trust that as His servant, steward, and child, that He has a purpose and plan. If that involves testing/tribulation, then so be it because it is for our benefit (Cf. James). If it is blessing, then trust Him to work things out. Worrying can take up so much of my brain cycles and I think releasing that will be a better allocation of the resources I would be a steward of.

Jrod

RICHinCHRIST

Re: Worry

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:04 pm

I've found that dwelling on worries and anxieties are some of my worst sins. Some days I have to continually quote portions of Matthew 6:25-34 in order to resist such thoughts. I've heard that worrying and anxiety could be a large factor in giving people strokes later in life (there's some percentage that makes worriers more susceptible to stroke). Our obedience to Christ should be our motivation not to worry (not avoiding health disasters), but I think God made us to be very simple-minded creatures. In our current society, everything is so complicated with all the technology and everything vying for our attention. Anxiety is a great sin, because it even creates depression in our lives (Prov 12:25).

brody196

Post by brody196 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:32 pm

The sin of worry has destroyed a great deal of my life and robbed me of many blessings. I war against it on a daily basis. Steve's lecture series(Sin of worry) really helped me a lot. Thanks Steve!

Mitzi

Post by Mitzi » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:03 am

brody196 wrote:The sin of worry has destroyed a great deal of my life and robbed me of many blessings. I war against it on a daily basis. Steve's lecture series(Sin of worry) really helped me a lot. Thanks Steve!

Thank you. I didn't know Steve had a lecture series on the sin of worry. I'm going to listen to it! Jesus came to save us from our sin and that includes this one! Jesus will deliver me! I worry about my family and the state of the world. I try to turn it to prayer but more often than not, I just worry. I'm going to find and listen to that series asap!

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:51 am

I don't know about a series, but there's a single lecture called 'The Sin of Worry' at Digital Ministries:

http://digitalministries.us/page10.html

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:03 pm

I used to worry all the time. How am I going to pay this bill? How will I pay for gas? What do I do about this? Since coming to Christ I don't do this nearly as much as I used to. When I do catch myself thinking too much about a situation I make myself think about something else. Joyce Meyer has a great book on this called Power Thoughts. Thinking the right thoughts on purpose, all of which are God centered and biblically based. It takes practice but it does work.

One lesson I've learned is worrying and being upset, unhappy or mad at the world because we aren't getting our way is just telling God we don't trust Him and we don't believe what His word says. So if we tell Him this why should we expect Him to answer our prayers or do anything good for us? (and yet He does, everyday, if we'd just stop and notice it).

Return to “The Kingdom”