Giving all

Discuss your walk and aspects of the kingdom of God here with fellow brothers in the Lord.
jarrod

Giving all

Post by jarrod » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:59 am

I was just thinking about the story in one of Steve's recent Kingdom of God lectures (story text here) that contains an illustration about an exchange between two men over the "pearl of great price."

I think that story shows that total commitment, or servitude, is really about giving everything up to the Lord you serve. The humorous (sadly) part is that we hold onto things of this world as if they had lasting value. Part of the crutch of living in such abundance in our country is that we tend to store up wealth (like manna) and come to find out it is useless in the long run. This also makes me think of Luke 12:13-21 where the man works to hoard his goods only to find out his life would end before he could enjoy them.

We need to give it all to the King. I am tired of trying to separate money using the traditional means of "This 10,20,30,..% is the Lords, and the rest is mine." I want my family to understand the mentality that 100% of it is the Lord's to use for His purposes and He allows us to live off of His resources. That takes such a weight off of your shoulders... a burden is lifted that caused me to worry about what to do, what to save, where to hoard it, and where to give it away. Freely giving with enjoyment because you trust the King and know He will never leave you or forsake you.

I like that eternal perspective on life.

I do know some that have a hard time with doing that. Especially business owners and such that are used to keeping business and personal separate; for good reasons I'm sure. It is a natural addition to separate God's resources. I just see it as a bigger pot for His use. God does not bless without purpose in my opinion... especially material things.

I'm also not talking about how we handle money in a big pool or separate bank accounts. That would be thinking too small. I'm talking about your perspective, worldview, or belief by which you operate.

Just some morning thoughts!

Jrod

jarrod

Re: Giving all

Post by jarrod » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:16 am

Just thinking and talking more about this subject...

Have we not all been invested into something that absolutely consumed our time that potentially became a crutch we were led to "fast" from (or give it up for a time)? I think in coming to that realization, that whatever it is, takes our time and focus from the Lord and puts us out of "balance." I think following that way of thinking to it's logical conclusion should lead us to believe that we need to give it _all_ to Him. Not just the things we may struggle with or not just the one or two things we think we have a problem with. In doing so, "Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you."

He will help us direct those time and resources for His Kingdom.

Thanks, Jrod

Return to “The Kingdom”