Awanas

Singalphile

Re: Awanas

Post by Singalphile » Fri May 31, 2013 11:48 am

I read/understand the pledge like so:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, on the condition that it is one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I have no problem saying it with that understanding. That is probably the way it was meant to be understood, I guess.

I could say it about any country that I chose to have citizenship in.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri May 31, 2013 11:20 pm

Singalphile wrote:I read/understand the pledge like so:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, on the condition that it is one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I have no problem saying it with that understanding. That is probably the way it was meant to be understood, I guess.

A serious question -- do you truly believe the U.S. to be a nation under God and having liberty and justice for all ? If not, then words don't mean anything -- what you mean in that case would be "I don't pledge allegiance, but I would if it were..." -- if so, then that's a sham pledge and so why pledge at all?

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:52 am

darinhouston wrote:
Singalphile wrote:I read/understand the pledge like so:

A serious question -- do you truly believe the U.S. to be a nation under God and having liberty and justice for all ? If not, then words don't mean anything -- what you mean in that case would be "I don't pledge allegiance, but I would if it were..." -- if so, then that's a sham pledge and so why pledge at all?
I responded in a new Pledges of Allegiance thread.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

paulespino

Post by paulespino » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:23 am

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
For our citizenship is in heaven; from which also we look for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ:
Philippians 3:20
Darin Wrote:
"Anyway, here's a thought experiment for those who think it's just good citizenship (I love the hypothetical about the statue of the Emperor). What if your job sent you overseas -- perhaps to Syria -- China -- Libya -- name it -- somewhere you don't agree with the culture? We are called to be respectful of the culture within which we are located -- what if you were asked (in church of all places) to recite a pledge of allegiance to the Premier of China or to the Taliban? Would you think differently of the impact of the pledge? We are sojourners -- ambassadors -- citizens of a different sort than the pledge assumes."
Thanks Darin, I believe that you are right. Our loyalty must be in Christ since our citizenship is in the Kingdom of God if we can follow the most important command which is to love God and our neighbors including our neighbors outside the boundaries of our country there is no need to plead allegiance to our local country.
Our love for God and our neighbors is evidence of our loyalty to Christ and if we are loyal to Christ we can also be loyal to our country and other countries because we will be showing or expressing our love to our local country and other countries But our loyalty to countries must be governed by the moral values set by Christ.

MMathis

Post by MMathis » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:09 am

I think I read somewhere that we are "bribed" for following Jesus with eternal life..

As for the pledge being idolatry -
triple yikes.

Put down the cool-aid, you are far more dangerous than Awanas.
MMathis
Las Vegas NV

Return to “Family”