Christian Driving

Right & Wrong
Singalphile

Christian Driving

Post by Singalphile » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:06 pm

I can't find any sermons about driving.

For many of us, at the end of the day, most of the relationships in our lives will have been with other drivers on the road, brief though they may have been. I was just watching some road-rage/altercation videos on youtube, and it's sad to see all of the anger and ill-will that people can spread.

Obeying the laws, goes without saying. But more than that ... If someone wants to pass, let him pass. If someone needs to get in your lane, let her. Never honk in disapproval, anger, or impatience. Don't give anyone a reason to get mad at you. If someone makes a mistake, smile and let him know that you sympathize. When you make a mistake, acknowledge it. It's not our job to teach anybody a lesson.

That's sometimes difficult. We have our pet peeves and our pride. But I think we could really make the world a better place by just being considerate and patient out there.

That's all. Any other thoughts? Does anybody know of a Christian sermon/lecture/teaching about driving habits? Don't you think God will care a good deal more about our driving behavior than He will care about nearly all of our theological opinions? I do.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

TK

Re: Christian Driving

Post by TK » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:23 pm

I know one thing-- Those people--- who insist on not getting over into the correct lane when there is a sign that says "left lane closed two miles ahead" and scream on by the line of traffic composed of people who do the right thing by getting over as soon as possible, thereby worsening the traffic jam and expecting people who they just screamed by to let them in at the last second--- deserve no mercy.

I think Paul would have included those folks with the sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, those who practice homosexuality, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, slanderers, and swindlers who would not inherit the Kingdom of God-- if they had cars back then.

SteveF

Post by SteveF » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:17 pm

TK wrote:I know one thing-- Those people--- who insist on not getting over into the correct lane when there is a sign that says "left lane closed two miles ahead" and scream on by the line of traffic composed of people who do the right thing by getting over as soon as possible, thereby worsening the traffic jam and expecting people who they just screamed by to let them in at the last second--- deserve no mercy.

I think Paul would have included those folks with the sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, those who practice homosexuality, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, slanderers, and swindlers who would not inherit the Kingdom of God-- if they had cars back then.
I appreciate your sense of humour. You may be as surprised as I was when I read this article a few months ago. Obviously, regradless of an outcome, God looks at our intent.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /90798014/

Since I drive every day in a Metro area with over 6 million people, driving behaviour is a real and living issue for me. I learn a lot about myself. I've noticed when I drive in smaller towns people are generally much more courteous. In a large city it's tempting to think "well eveyone else drives this way"' or " nobody else waves a thank you hand" etc..so why bother? It's times like these when I need to put on the mind of Christ.....maybe even pray for the person in the other car.

We never know what's going on with the person in the other car. Maybe they just received some horrible news or had a bad experience. Maybe they're a doctor rushing to give life saving surgery. Or perhaps they are just selfish. In that case, they need me to pray for them to receive the same mercy I have received.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:51 pm

That article/video is really interesting. I have often wondered which method is really better.

My car died about 10 to 15 years ago, and I decided to ride the city bus for several months. That experience really cured me of any impatience. To be able to get up and go wherever you want to whenever you want to at a (pretty) steady clip is an amazing thing.
SteveF wrote:We never know what's going on with the person in the other car.
Yes. That's what I always think.

I read an article about whether it's wrong to drive faster than the posted limit. That's interesting, but I don't think it's really the main concern. The main thing is to drive so that you don't give any other driver any temptation to stumble, I think. That means getting out of people's way, using your turn signals, moving with the flow of traffic, letting people merge in front of you, never tailgating, and never honking or gesturing out of anger, I think.

TK

Post by TK » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:56 pm

Interesting article. Not sure I believe it (it is not something I want to believe) but regardless I could never be that person. It goes against my born again nature 8-)

Drive unto others as you would have them drive unto you. That's a good motto.

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:45 pm

Singlephile wrote:
Obeying the laws, goes without saying.
And then wrote:
I read an article about whether it's wrong to drive faster than the posted limit. That's interesting, but I don't think it's really the main concern. The main thing is to drive so that you don't give any other driver any temptation to stumble, I think. That means getting out of people's way, using your turn signals, moving with the flow of traffic, letting people merge in front of you, never tailgating, and never honking or gesturing out of anger, I think.
Do we obey the letter of the law regarding the posted speed limit? If it is sin when we exceed the speed limit I suspect none of us complies with that. Regarding the letter of the law, most drivers on the freeway here in Oregon drive 5mph or more above the speed limit. I usually speed up a bit to pass the trucks and then get back in the right lane as quick as feasible. If I don't someone will usually begin tailgating me, wanting to go faster.

One day we exited the freeway and drove the last 10 miles home on the "scenic route" as usual. Not long after exiting the freeway I noticed a state police patrol car following me, not far behind. He stayed in the same place all the way home and I thought he must have noticed something about my driving that wasn't appropriate. As we reached home and turned into the private lane that leads to our driveway he pulled in behind us. I thought I was getting a ticket for sure but the policeman only wanted to know if it was OK to go for walks on the farm land next door. He explained he had been marking the freeway so air patrols could time speeding cars. He went on to say they have no interest in cars exceeding the speed limit by an reasonable amount and are concern with tailgaters, passing on the right, weaving in and out of traffic, going 80mph, etc. Interestingly, my wife's sister got pulled over on the freeway and warned for not going with the flow; she was going too slow and was warned she was a hazard.

Perhaps the spirit of the law and love your neighbor should be our concern. When I hadn't been a Christian for long I was determined to strictly follow the posted limit and I sinned in doing so. One day I was driving on the freeway and up ahead was a single lane construction zone so traffic needed to merge into one lane. As I approached the place where the lanes merged into single lane a lady with a camper sped by me. I was determined to not exceed the posted 45mph limit in the zone which went on for several miles. I noticed a man on my tail in a pickup, apparently impatient with me. Too bad, I thought, I'm sticking to the speed limit. The lady in the rig with the camper was soon long out of sight. As we exited the construction zone the man behind quickly passed me, yelling at me as he went by. As I realized just then, he was following the lady with the camper. Obviously she should have waited for him but I could have safely driven a bit faster too; there was no work going on at the time.

The preacher at our church recently said he had just returned from a trip to Idaho and was much pleased that the speed limit in eastern Oregon had been increased to 65mph and confessed he could never stick to the speed limit, in the past, in those wide open spaces. It would be interesting to hear how many Christians can say they strictly stay within the posted limit, city, country, or freeway.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:11 am

Home wrote:... Perhaps the spirit of the law and love your neighbor should be our concern. ....
I agree. To paraphrase Jesus, traffic laws are made for man, not man for the traffic laws.

So I didn't mean to suggest that one should never drive over the posted speed limit. But if that's what a person thinks he or she ought to do, then that's fine (though I might suggest that he remove his car's fish symbol). Preacher/author John Piper is one who thinks that one should never exceed the posted limit. To do that consistently and be safe would be very difficult, I think.

I haven't found a sermon or any long teaching about it yet, which I would find interesting.

Return to “Ethics”