Why did Jesus stop reading?

psimmond

Re: Why did Jesus stop reading?

Post by psimmond » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi Paidion,
I just came across this thread and it's sad to hear you say you're leaving. This forum has been very valuable to me over the years and you have been a big part of the reason.

I don't visit as often as I used to (not sure if you remember, but I was also compared to Joseph Smith in one of the threads), but I still pop in from time to time because I have a lot of respect for several of the people who post on this forum.

If you do leave, I completely understand why, but you will be missed by some of us.

"A faith that must be 'protected' is no faith at all. If I can retain my faith in Christ only by closing my mind against every criticism, I give proof positive that I am not well convinced of the soundness of my position." ~A.W. Tozer
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:56 pm

Thank you, psimmond. A few years ago I began writing a book called "The Supreme Sacrifice of Jesus Christ." I never finished writing the book. I thought I had posted the first three chapters on the old forum, but in checking I see that I posted only Chapter 1 and Chapter3. If you are interested in reading these chapters, the links are below:

Chapter 1
http://www.wvss.com/forumc/viewtopic.ph ... 8b8dee55e1

Chapter 3
http://www.wvss.com/forumc/viewtopic.ph ... 8b8dee55e1

If you read these chapters, and would be interested in Chapter 2, just PM me, and I'll make it available to you.

Sincerely,
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:37 pm

Paidion, thanks for the links.
The first chapter made me think of NT Wright and NPP (with a Church of Christ baptismal view). I think the NPP was a long overdue corrective and has dealt a blow to the doctrine of imputation. (Unfortunately, the doctrine of imputation is still quite strong in the Protestant church.)

I think the third chapter makes a good point about ANE influences on early worship.
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:18 am

Sorry psimmond (Peter isn't it?) but I am unfamiliar with the acronyms NPP and ANE as you used them in your post above.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

jasonmodar

Post by jasonmodar » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:01 pm

Paidion wrote:Sorry psimmond (Peter isn't it?) but I am unfamiliar with the acronyms NPP and ANE as you used them in your post above.
At the slight risk of putting my foot in my mouth...

NPP- New Perspective on Paul

ANE- Ancient Near East

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks, jasonmodar. That's what I had in mind.

Sorry for the confusion.
~Garry Friesen

Return to “Major and Minor Prophets”