Can we PLEASE get a few more admins/mods now?

Post Problems, Suggestions, or Comments about the New Forum.
backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Can we PLEASE get a few more admins/mods now?

Post by backwoodsman » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:41 am

I've made this suggestion several times before, and it's been ignored. No new moderators, no explanation why it's not as good an idea as it looks to me.

There's an active spammer as I type this who is at 39 posts and counting in the last half hour. Usually it takes the better part of a day for an admin to notice and shut down these guys, during which time the forum is essentially unusable. (Not that there's been much activity lately anyway...) A few more people who can do something about it would greatly reduce that response time. Surely there are a number of well-known long-time users who would be willing to help with this.

There's a moderator listed, joel, who has a total of 5 posts and hasn't even logged in since last September. What's up with that? And Jarrod hasn't logged in for almost a month.

dwight92070

Re: Can we PLEASE get a few more admins/mods now?

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:31 pm

What exactly is a moderator supposed to do? Or an admin?

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:59 am

I do appreciate this forum and the work that any of you do to keep it available. I would be happy to be helpful, if I were to be considered qualified.

Like dwight, I'm not sure what that will entail, and so I'm not really sure how much I can help. I'm at work for, I guess, 45 to 55 hours a week, but I still check the forum a few times a day, and I'm usually pretty free on weekends. I suppose I could delete spam and that sort of thing sometimes.

So if you - or whoever makes such decisions - think I might be able to help, then I will give it a shot.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

backwoodsman

Post by backwoodsman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:30 am

dwight92070 wrote:What exactly is a moderator supposed to do? Or an admin?
In cases like the one in hand, they ban the spammer and delete the spam. The more there are who can do that, the sooner it gets done.

Another (even better) way to deal with spam is to set new users to "moderated" until they make a legitimate post. phpBB has that capability, if I recall correctly. That completely eliminates spam, and also removes the burden on admins of having to guess which prospective new users are spammers, and the risk of wrongly rejecting some as spammers when they're not. In my experience, when applicants know new members are moderated, the spammers don't bother signing up, which greatly reduces admins' workload.

NebraskaMike

Post by NebraskaMike » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:48 pm

I'd like to help. I'm not sure if it would be more trouble than it is worth to you for me to volunteer 2 or 3 hours a week (in the evenings). I dont have previous experience as a forum admin, but if you would like someone to be a "spam hunter" and do other various tasks, I'd be willing. You can reply to this or PM me here if you like.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:44 am

I'd also be willing to be a moderator if needed.

I've actually been a moderator on a couple other message boards years back. I'd certainly be willing to delete spam.

backwoodsman

Post by backwoodsman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:54 am

Matt, you're already an admin.

NebraskaMike

Post by NebraskaMike » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:29 pm

If it's helpful, I can give a little bit of my background. I am computer savvy\technical. Ive been a technical writer for 15 years and have worked within software development projects, pc support, I.T. environments, etc. But Im not real network\server savvy.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:15 am

backwoodsman wrote:Matt, you're already an admin.
Haha, interesting. I honestly have no recollection of that becoming the case.

Cory

Post by Cory » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:50 pm

I suggest both Hit Man Pro and Malwarebytes, Both have a 30 day trial to get what you have off asap.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us/hmp.asp ... awQAvD_BwE

Cheers

Return to “New Forum”