What was the cup that Jesus prayed about?

KyleB

What was the cup that Jesus prayed about?

Post by KyleB » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:43 am

Was the cup Jesus prayed to pass from him in the garden (Mt 26:39) the cup of God's wrath? I know that most evangelicals say that it is, but if so, why does Jesus say that James and John will indeed drink from the same cup that Jesus would (Mt 20:22-23)?

I am not doubting that Jesus took on my sins and the sins of the whole world, and that He faced the penalty for those sins. I affirm that. I am just wondering how can we say that James and John also drank God's wrath, if we identify the cup this way? Couldn't we see the cup in a more general sense, as in accepting or refusing God's calling for your life? And that Jesus and the apostles all suffered for the gospel's sake, so in that way they drank from the same cup?

As an aside, I am aware that there are many OT references to God's wrath in a cup, but they seem to refer to a cup that can be filled and emptied on different occasions, and dishes out temporal rather than eternal judgment.

steve7150

Re: What was the cup that Jesus prayed about?

Post by steve7150 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:46 am

I don't think Jesus was afraid it was God's wrath , i think he was afraid of being spiritually separated from his Father as he truly stood in our place. So it may be suffering per se but for Jesus that suffering manifested as spiritual separation IMO.

RICHinCHRIST

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:49 pm

I take this idea quite simply. I interpret the "cup" as a cup of suffering. Jesus would suffer at the hands of the Jews and the Romans, and his disciples would also suffer for their dedication to Christ by the same kinds of people. Jesus also said they would be baptized with the same baptism he was baptized with. I see this in two possible ways: The baptism of the Holy Spirit, or an immersion in the same suffering. Either way you see it, the Holy Spirit would lead the disciples into suffering since everyone who desires to live godly in Christ will suffer persecution. But I don't think it's necessary to bring the idea of God's wrath into the picture, even though the OT uses the cup analogy in that way.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:25 pm

Bingo, RiCHinChrist!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:12 pm

Rich, yes, I think we are basically saying the same thing.

Here is why I am asking. I was talking about this subject with a friend earlier in the week because I had heard the "God's wrath" view on a call-in program that we both listened to. He agreed with the show host, I did not, but I said I would think about it some more. Then a few days later, going through Steve's 2012 Jeremiah lectures, Steve got to one of the references and said that it gave special meaning to Jesus' prayer. So then I felt like maybe I was really wrong. But I just can't see it because of the statement that the apostles would share in the same cup with Jesus.

Does anyone hold to the God's wrath view here? How do you make sense of Mt 20:22-23?

JMTC

Post by JMTC » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:49 pm

I agree that it refers to suffering.

Return to “The Gospels”