John's unique account

TheEditor

John's unique account

Post by TheEditor » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:47 am

Greetings,

I thought I'd toss this idea out and see what you all think. I have heard the objection raised in the past that the Gospel of John is unique from the Synoptics, and as such some have questioned its canonicity. One interesting point is that of all the accounts, John's alone records the resurrection of Lazarus. It does seem odd that such a great feat was not recorded in the other Gospels. The other day I was thining on it and came up with what I felt was a plausible reason. I haven't read this anywhere before so I thought I'd offer it for your consideration. Notice what John says following Lazarus' ressurection:

"A great many of the Jews found out that he (Jesus) was there, and they came to Bethany not only to see Jesus but also to see Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead. But the high priests planned to kill Lazarus also, for because of him many of the Jews were leaving them and becoming believers in Jesus." --John 12:9-11.

Since John wrote his Gospel much later then the others, I thought perhaps that by the time he wrote, Lazarus was likely dead (again) and the reminder of this particular miracle would no longer put Lazarus' life at risk. The same is true of John's being the only Gospel that identifies Peter as the one who cut off the ear of the High Priest's servant. What do you all think of this idea?

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

steve

Re: John's unique account

Post by steve » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:41 am

I have had the same thought about John's mentioning Peter by name. Had not considered the Lazarus point though. Not implausible.

Return to “The Gospels”