Pilate`s wife`s dream

Ian

Pilate`s wife`s dream

Post by Ian » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Matthew 27 v 19:
While he was sitting on the judgment seat, his wife sent to him, saying, “Have nothing to do with that just Man, for I have suffered many things today in a dream because of Him.
A question (there may be a simple answer, but not one that has occurred to me):

If it was God`s will for Jesus to be crucified, from whom did her dream come? If it was from God, why would He risk subverting his own plans (through Pilate`s heeding of his wife`s advice)?

Paidion

Re: Pilate`s wife`s dream

Post by Paidion » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Perhaps God wanted to deal with Pilate. It does seem that Pilate sought His release by having them choose between Jesus and Barabbas as a man to be released. Then when he saw that he could not save Jesus' life without alienating the Jews, he washed his hands of the matter. But still, in his own way, he followed the advice of his wife by "having nothing to do with that righteous man" based on her dream.

When Pilate realised that nothing more could be done but that there would soon be a riot, he took a bowl of water and washed his hands before the crowd, saying, "I take no responsibility for the death of this man. You must see to that yourselves." (verse 24)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Singalphile

Re: Pilate`s wife`s dream

Post by Singalphile » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:09 am

Interesting question. I would say that there isn't enough info to know if it was from God or the enemy or just a regular, non-supernatural dream. I don't think we know what sort of dream it was or what her motives were.

If it was a supernatural type of dream from God, then I think Paidion's answer makes sense. God can keep more than one plate spinning, so to speak. :)
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “The Gospels”