Did Peter first confess Christ as the Messiah?

21centpilgrim

Did Peter first confess Christ as the Messiah?

Post by 21centpilgrim » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:17 pm

In Matt. 16 we have Peter declaring of Jesus- “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

However in John 1 we have disciples other than Peter saying basically the same thing, Andrew tells Peter “We have found the Messiah”
and then shortly thereafter Nathaniel “Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!”

Thoughts?
Then those who feared the LORD spoke with each other, and the LORD listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him.

robbyyoung

Re: Did Peter first confess Christ as the Messiah?

Post by robbyyoung » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:22 am

21centpilgrim wrote:In Matt. 16 we have Peter declaring of Jesus- “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

However in John 1 we have disciples other than Peter saying basically the same thing, Andrew tells Peter “We have found the Messiah”
and then shortly thereafter Nathaniel “Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!”

Thoughts?
Hello 21centpilgrim,

The answer to your "Post's Question" is NO. So there's really no conflict. Peter was simply favored over the rest and called to fulfill God's purpose.

God Bless!

Return to “The Gospels”