Jews, Jewish Converts, or Both?

_mattrose

Jews, Jewish Converts, or Both?

Post by _mattrose » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:25 pm

At the end of Paul's 3rd missionary journey...as he travels toward Jerusalem...he is warned by his friends and by Agabus that hard times awaited him in the city. Agabus says the JEWS will bind Paul (Acts 21:11). Later, James and the elders tell Paul that many thousands of JEWS have believed, are zealous for the law, and have heard false rumors about Paul's ministry (21:21). Later, some Jews stirred up the crowd against Paul (21:27).

My question is, did they stir up other JEWS? Or did they stir up these 'zealous-for-the-law' converts? Or both?

I'm not sure how important it is. I am just curious as to the 'state of the church' in Jerusalem at that time. Were they so easily swayed by the Jewish leaders to fall right back into rejecting the Gospel?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_Prakk

It is Paul's companions who were Zealous

Post by _Prakk » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:07 pm

mattrose wrote:"My question is, did they stir up other JEWS? Or did they stir up these 'zealous-for-the-law' converts? Or both?"?
Other Jews, it was said that those who accompanied Paul to the temple were "Zealous for the Law."Acts 21:23 & 24,
"Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them; Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law."
These are men Zealous for the law, that keep it, walk orderly, and make and keep vows. I suppose there were some that believed the rumors. Acts 21:27,
"And when the seven days were almost ended, the Jews which were of Asia, when they saw him in the temple, stirred up all the people, and laid hands on him."
The trouble makers were from out of town, things were going well.

Hugh McBryde
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

Return to “Acts & Epistles”