Seeming Contradiction?

RICHinCHRIST

Seeming Contradiction?

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:34 pm

Was there something distinctly different about the Athenians which was revealed to Paul? If they had a shrine, why would this not refer to their worshipping of demons? Is it merely because they were agnostic and didn't worship a specific idol or deity?

verbatim

Re: Seeming Contradiction?

Post by verbatim » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:38 pm

Hello RICHinCHRIST greetings;

[quote="RICHinCHRIST]

This remind me of the conversation of Jesus in John 4:22-24 Ye worship ye know not what; we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
v.23 But the hour coeth, and now is, when the true worshiper shall worship the Faher in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him
v.24 God is a Spirit: and they that worsip him must worship in spirit and in truth.

Was there something distinctly different about the Athenians which was revealed to Paul? If they had a shrine, why would this not refer to their worshipping of demons? Is it merely because they were agnostic and didn't worship a specific idol or deity?[/quote]

First, God is Spirit and do not dwelt in shrine or house built by hands of man.
They were considered worshipping the demons by not knowing what they are doing.1 Cor 10:21 You an not drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of the devils; you cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and the table of the devils.
1 Cor 11:27-29 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
v.28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
v.29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
Thank you and God bless.
your brother in Christ.
virgilio
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:04 pm

I think that Paul viewed false religions, at least largely, as demonic. But these athenians were so polytheistic that they were afraid their was a 'hole' in their poly-theology. Paul simply took the rhetorical opportunity to fill that hole with the truth.

So I don't think Paul was denying that the athenian gods were, at their core, demonic. There were probably thousands of demonic religious beliefs in athens at the time. But there was also this vague, nameless altar... and Paul took THAT open window to speak the truth.

RICHinCHRIST

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi Matt,

I understand what you are saying, and I see some validity in that. Paul probably did jump on this opportunity.

However, Paul does say, "The One whom you worship without knowing...". The way he speaks seems as though God accepted this worship from them. He said they actually DID worship God, albeit without knowing they were. This seems quite bizarre considering they were pagan Gentiles who did not really know God at all. Perhaps there were some who worshipped there who had the heart of Cornelius. They really did have a heart for God, but they were just waiting for someone to point them in the right direction. It seems that is true since some did become disciples after this sermon (Acts 17:34)

verbatim

Post by verbatim » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:29 pm

Your guess is good us mine but in general I think it does not pertain only to the atheneans but to us the people or believers Gentiles, Christians or what
ever religion in this world, who do not know if who is the God that they worship.

God is Spirit and we must worship Him in Truth and Spirit. Most commonly a believer when they worship God created image in his mind or vision of a God
which made according to one's imagination of the picture of Jesus or the image of the Father and that is already a sin of blasphemy.
your brother in Christ.
virgilio
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7

Return to “Acts & Epistles”