Eph. 3:10- Principalities and Powers?

_TK

Eph. 3:10- Principalities and Powers?

Post by _TK » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:59 pm

In context:
To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make all see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ; to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places, according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him. Eph. 3:8-12
Specifically, what is your opinion regarding the identity of the "principalities and powers in the heavenly places?"

TK
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:42 pm

This is an excellent question, TK. I looked up every reference I could find to "principalities" (actually "rulers") and "powers" (actually "authorities").

Here is what I found. Sometimes this phrase definitely refers to earthly rulers and authorities:

"When they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not worry about how or what you are to speak in your defense, or what you are to say; for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say." Luke 12:11,12

Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for any honest work... Titus 3:1

Here is one which definitely concerns heavenly rulers and authorities, probably demonic, since they are "the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms":

Put on the full armour of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:11,12

Another which may refer to both earthly and heavenly authorities:

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. Ephesians 1:18-21

Another which seems to refer to both:

For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. Colossians 1:16

Here is on which may refer to earthly rule and authority but which might also refer to heavenly rule and authority:

... then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authorityand power.
I Corinthians 15:24

And one which seemingly speaks of heavenly authority:

See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority... Colossians 2:8-10

This one, too seems to speak of heavenly rulers and authorities:

When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions, having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him. Colossians 2:13-15

And now for the passage in question. It definitely states that they are heavenly rulers and authorities. Since these were clearly demonic force in some of the passages quoted above, I presume they are also demonic in this passage:

To me, the very least of all saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ, and to bring to light what is the administration of the mystery which for ages has been hidden in God who created all things; so that the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known through the church to the rulers and the authorities in the heavenly places. Ephesians 3:8-10

I remember how astounded I was when I first realized that the "manifold wisdom of God would be made known" to these authorities through the church!!! Furthermore that little word "now" is in there.

As I see it, the church began that ministry to the evil spiritual beings right from its beginning, probably being unaware of their witness to these rulers and authorities. But that ministry is going to escalate until the day when all who will be in Gehenna, including these demons, will be corrected by God both through their suffering and through the witness of the Church.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_TK

Post by _TK » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:24 am

Thanks for your analysis, Paidion.

What spurred my question was a sermon by Art Katz i listened to yesterday on the way to work entitled "Christus Victor" (available on sermonindex.net). He agrees that the principalities and powers in eph 3:10 are the demonic powers. He went on to stress the rather startling point that Paul seemed to be making in this passage, namely that the FOREMOST PURPOSE of God creating all things was to bring about the Church, which, in its pristine apostolic form, would have the vocation of making the manifest wisdom of God known to these powers. I guess it takes someone like Mr. Katz to open my eyes to something I have never noticed before, despite the fact that I have read this passage many many times.

That being said, some commentators do think Paul is talking about good Angels, comparing this passage to 1 Pet 1:12: To them it was revealed that, not to themselves, but to us they were ministering the things which now have been reported to you through those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven—things which angels desire to look into.

I still believe that in Eph 3:10 Paul is talking about the demonic realm; however on a question of such seeming importance one would wish that he had been a tad clearer.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

Return to “Acts & Epistles”