Paul's Thorn in the Flesh

RICHinCHRIST

Paul's Thorn in the Flesh

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:26 pm

And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. - 2 Corinthians 12:7

I've heard many people say that commentators are divided over what this "messenger of Satan" really was. I've heard most preachers say it was a physical ailment, possibly an eye sickness due to a comment Paul makes in Galatians 3.

I'm wondering if we take a more literal interpretation we'll see something differently. The greek word for "Messenger" is ἄγγελος, angelos, the same word for angel. Is it far-fetched to assume that Paul was harassed by an unclean spirit or by a demon? He says it is clearly of the flesh, a thorn "in the flesh", so I wonder if the demon physically harassed him and tormented him. I've had experiences such as these where I have felt a physical presence of a demonic sort and I can sense the evil in the air. There have been times where I have had to literally grab different parts of my body as a knee-jerk reaction and command demons to leave in Jesus' name because the presence was so strong.

Any thoughts?

TK

Re: Paul's Thorn in the Flesh

Post by TK » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:05 am

I believe it was a persecuting person- but of course this person may have been influenced by demons.

TK

Return to “Acts & Epistles”