Application of James 4 v 17 to this instance

Ian

Application of James 4 v 17 to this instance

Post by Ian » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:45 pm

If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.
This afternoon a young man walked up to me and thrust a piece of paper under my nose without saying a word. I thought it was a petition for something as my name and postcode was being requested. In my irritation and being in German I didn`t read it in detail but saw it was supposedly for a charity for deaf people. But it was a rather crudely printed piece of A4 paper.
After I`d signed he pointed to the last column "Spende" (donation). My irritation grew further and I said I didn`t have any money with me. As soon as I said it I knew I had technically told a lie. I had 5 Swiss Francs in my pocket with which I intended to buy bread later. So a more truthful answer would have been "I have no money with me that I wish to donate to your "cause".
I went away with a terribly guilty conscience. And dwelled on it for some time after.
I told my wife the story later. She replied that he is well known in the city for doing this, is widely regarded as fake and in any case, "Ian, no one needs to beg in St Gallen. They`re looked after by the city. Get that into your head".

When I read the above verse, my reaction is "I`ve sinned in being untruthful to a man who was nonetheless collecting money by bogus means." I had thought he could be bogus but couldn`t prove it to myself.

My question is, how would you have reacted in my situation?

Footnote: doing the job I do here, driving handicapped children, I myself do not meet my basic financial needs. Not by a long chalk. That was the source of my irritation if I`m honest with myself (but don`t let me sway your answer too much).

Paidion

Re: Application of James 4 v 17 to this instance

Post by Paidion » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:38 pm

In response to the request for money, if I didn't want to give, I would have responded with a simple, "No."

I don't think James 4:17 applies here. It applies to cases in which you KNOW to do good, and don't do it.
From what you have written it seems that this was not a good thing to do. But even if it was, you didn't KNOW that it was.

But maybe you were thinking of the fact that you KNOW it is good to refrain from lying, but didn't do it. I would say James 4:17 would apply to that.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:49 pm

What Paidion said.

Be blessed Ian, your heart is right. :D

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:43 pm

Just remember if the person is attempting to emotionally manipulate you, it's not morally right, and might indicate too they are a scammer.

Ian

Post by Ian » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:02 pm

Thank you for your replies Paidion, Homer and Dizerner.

This is not an oath, but I promise I won`t do it again! :oops:

Return to “Acts & Epistles”