1 Corinthians 7:26-31 The present distress

_Benjamin Ho

1 Corinthians 7:26-31 The present distress

Post by _Benjamin Ho » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:49 am

26 I suppose therefore that this is good because of the present distress— that it is good for a man to remain as he is: 27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed. Are you loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife. 28 But even if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Nevertheless such will have trouble in the flesh, but I would spare you. 29 But this I say, brethren, the time is short, so that from now on even those who have wives should be as though they had none, 30 those who weep as though they did not weep, those who rejoice as though they did not rejoice, those who buy as though they did not possess, 31 and those who use this world as not misusing it. For the form of this world is passing away.
1 Co 7:26-31 (NKJV)
Dear Steve,

What is the present distress that Paul is referring to? If it is something localised to the Corinthian church, would that mean his advice on marriage is meant to be applied to the Corinthian church only? Or if the distress is something more universal (which seems to be suggested by the words the form of this world is passing away), then what does Paul mean by the time is short (individual lifespans or Christ's coming)?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Grace and peace,
Benjamin Ho

Return to “Acts & Epistles”