A question about the preterist approach ...

SamIam

A question about the preterist approach ...

Post by SamIam » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:27 pm

If the Revelation was written before AD 67 (in order to precede the Jewish war) and predicts the fall of Jerusalem.

And if the Revelation was addressed to the Christians in and around Ephesus (Asia Minor).

To what purpose was the book written?

Was it a warning to the inhabitants of Jerusalem? If so why was it not addressed to them? Was it read in Jerusalem before 70 AD?

Would the Christians in Asia Minor be able to follow the events in Jerusalem in real time? How quickly would the news from Jerusalem spread?

What would Polycarp, living in Smyrna, learn from this prediction of events that will soon happen hundreds of miles away? (I understand Polycarp was probably a just child in AD 70, but his is the only name I can remember.)

Murf

Re: A question about the preterist approach ...

Post by Murf » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:18 pm

Assuming your first two points are correct:
Then it would be much like the first 24 chapters of Ezekiel. Ezekiel prophesized to those in Babylon, which is about 1,000 miles from Jerusalem, about the impending destruction of Jerusalem. They Jews in Babylon didn’t find out about the destruction for about 7 years or so.

Polycarp much like the Babylon captives learned God is sovereign.

tim

psychohmike

Re: A question about the preterist approach ...

Post by psychohmike » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:03 am

If there is any question as to the early date of Revelation one should consider "Redating the New Testament" by John A.T. Robinson.

http://www.amazon.com/Redating-Testamen ... 213&sr=1-1

Most people don't usually consider ALL of the evidence before they land on a conclusion.

I don't think that Revelation was a warning against Jerusalem as much as it was a letter to the seven churches just as it says. However Jesus himself proclaimed judgment against Jerusalem in Matthew 23.

I personally believe that Revelation 4-22 is an apocalyptic vision of the judgment that was about to befall Jerusalem for their continuous and callous rejection of God and their continual persecutions on God's faithful followers of Jesus.

But also if you read carefully through the seven letters you will see that the path that most of the churches were on would also lead to Jesus coming to them in judgment too.

Pmike

Return to “Revelation”