when Revelation was written

dean198

Re: when Revelation was written

Post by dean198 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:14 pm

Paidion wrote:There is a bit of internal evidence that Revelation was written at a later date.
I think there is far more indication that it was written early - the allusions to Revelation in Hebrews, James, 2 Peter and Ephesians; the textual variant 666/616 which both correspond to the Hebrew form of the name Caesar Nero.

In earlier apostolic times, Sunday was never called "the Lordly day". "On Sunday", or "on the first day of the week" was written as "τῃ μιᾳ των σαββατων" (in the one of the sabbaths) as in Mt 28:1, Mk 16:2, Lk 24:1 Jn 20:1, Jn 20:19 and Ac 20:7. Apparently "sabbath" came to be used as a synonym for "week" . So the expression held the idea of "Day 1 of the week".
This is a valid point, though suggestive rather than conclusive. Luke refers to the first day of the week as that, and not as the Lord's Day; the problem is, using that argumentation, the term 'Lord's Supper' was not coined until some time after Acts was written, because Acts refers to it as the breaking of bread.

So it is my contention that if Revelation had been written prior to 70 A.D., the usual expression for Sunday would have been used "τῃ μιᾳ των σαββατων" (in the one of the Sabbaths). Since, instead, the later Christian expression was used," ἐν τῃ κυριακῃ ἡμερᾳ" (in the Lordly day), there is strong indication that the traditional date assigned to the writing of Revelation, 90 A.D. or so, combined with the early Christian statements that the vision was seen at the end of Domitian's reign, adds evidence upon evidence for the traditional date.
There is really only one early Christian statement that may state Domitian: Irenaeus - I'm not quite sure why you put this in the plural as though there were others.

Return to “Revelation”