Date of Revelation

dwilkins

Re: Date of Revelation

Post by dwilkins » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:42 am

[quote="steve7150]
I have thought the Old Covenant was over on the cross or perhaps the curses portion lasted until 70AD so what you are mentioning i'm totally unaware of but i will look into it.[/quote]

I think that Matt. 5 is clear that it's not over until it's over, meaning that although elements of the Old Covenant were being fulfilled as history went along the Old Covenant wasn't completely over until it was all completly fulfilled. This is not to say that elements of the Old Covenant such as the type/anti-type imagery of the sacrificial system wasn't fulfilled at the cross. But, there is more to the Old Covenant than that. We still have to account for the fulfillement of the seven feast days, the elements of the 70 weeks of Daniel prophecy, the resurrection, the laws of blessings and cursings from Deuteronomy, etc. Until those are done, the Old Covenant is still in effect as much as it was in the time of the Apostles.

You are in good company thinking that the Old Covenant was done away with at the cross. Dispensationalists, Amills, and Postmills say the same thing (though for different reasons and with some nuanced explanation). But, I think that's because the Reformation was almost entirely focused on soteriology, and since the sacrificial imagery of the OC was handled at the cross, they jumped to the conclusion that it's all in the past. In other words, their theology orbits around soteriology (specifically, individual soteriology) so they have a very hard time seeing the rest of the narrative of scirpture (especially the Dispensationalists).

Doug

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:12 pm

As far as I know, it seems that I am the only historic futurist who posts to this forum.

Are there any other historic futurists out there? (not dispensationalists)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Paidion wrote:As far as I know, it seems that I am the only historic futurist who posts to this forum.

Are there any other historic futurists out there? (not dispensationalists)
Can you nutshell what that is for me? If you've read my posts, you know I come at this as literature, so I'm not very familiar with the other positions. Who knows.. I might be one. :D
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Return to “Revelation”