The Wrath of the Lamb

Paidion

The Wrath of the Lamb

Post by Paidion » Wed May 07, 2014 12:37 pm

In the vision of John the author of Revelation, he indicates that he saw the following:
And the kings of the earth, the great men, the rich men, the commanders, the mighty men, every slave and every free man, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains, and said to the mountains and rocks, "Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! For the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?" (Rev. 6:15-17)
Yet Paul states that it is Jesus who DELIVERS us from the wrath to come:
For they themselves declare concerning us what manner of entry we had to you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come. (1 Thess. 1:9-10)
I'm not suggesting that there is any contradiction here—only that it seems a little odd that Jesus DELIVERS us from his own wrath. Using an analogy, a parent says to his offending child, "What you did made me very angry. I am going to spank you. On the other hand, I can deliver you from that spanking, if you change your ways." What the parent will do makes sense. It just seems to be an odd way to say it.

But perhaps you don't see it as odd at all. What do you think?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

paulespino

Re: The Wrath of the Lamb

Post by paulespino » Wed May 07, 2014 11:43 pm

New International Version
John 5:19
Jesus gave them this answer: "Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
John 5:30
"I can do nothing on My own. I judge only as I hear, and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.

Is it possible that Paul is referring to God's wrath rather than Jesus because Jesus said in John that whatever the Father do he also do.

dwilkins

Re: The Wrath of the Lamb

Post by dwilkins » Thu May 08, 2014 3:19 am

I don't see why this is odd. Throughout the Old Testament God is described as vengeful. He promises to exact vengeance against his enemies. He also promises to save his faithful remnant. Why is that odd?

Doug

Return to “Revelation”