Why is it good for us that Jesus went away?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
Paidion

Re: Why is it good for us that Jesus went away?

Post by Paidion » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:20 pm

I do not think anyone has yet offered the most obvious reason why the Spirit could not come until the Lord Jesus departed. The reason is that the Lord Jesus is the Holy Spirit. While He remained on earth as a human being, His Spirit was confined to His body.

But their minds were hardened. For to this day, when they read the old covenant, that same veil remains unlifted, because only through Christ is it taken away. Yes, to this day whenever Moses is read a veil lies over their hearts. But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:14-18

In this passage "the Lord" refers to Jesus (see the words in red). Not once, but twice in this passage, the Lord is said to be the Spirit. This makes no sense to one whose conception of the Spirit is that of a third divine Person of a Trinitarian God.

Jesus said to his disciples that He and His Father would come and make their dwelling with them (the disciples).

Judas (not Iscariot) *said to Him, "Lord, what then has happened that You are going to disclose Yourself to us and not to the world?"

Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. John 14:22,23 NASB

The Father, (and now His Son also) dwell in heaven in some special sense. But after that special day of Pentecost, the Father and the Son came to the disciples to dwell with and in them. Is that not the Holy Spirit? The Spirit of God, and the Spirit of Jesus?

Actually there is only one Spirit; God and His Son share that Spirit. They can extend their Spirit anywhere in the Universe, and especially in the hearts and minds of the faithful. So what need is there to hypothesize a third divine individual?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

nancyer

Re: Why is it good for us that Jesus went away?

Post by nancyer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:25 pm

A simple answer to this query came to me while reading the various posts. Jesus had to leave us, die on the cross, so that He could return: come back from the dead show everyone He was who He said He was. Mere mortals don't come back from the dead. Jesus had performed all sorts of miracles while on earth but the biggest of all had to show everyone Jesus is Lord. How else could Jesus be crucified, buried and simple return? So that others would see Him. And therefore, Know Him.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”