God is All-Powerful

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
simonejm

God is All-Powerful

Post by simonejm » Tue May 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Is there anything unbiblical with saying that God’s only power is the power of love, in which there is no domination, coercion, or violence? God is love (I John 4:8) – that is the defining divine perfection – and God is love from tip to toe.

“Omnipotence,” T. F. Torrance says, “is what God does, and it is from His ‘does’ rather than from a hypothetical ‘can’ that we are to understand the meaning of the term. What God does, we see in Christ.”

benstenson

Re: God is All-Powerful

Post by benstenson » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:16 pm

simonejm wrote:Is there anything unbiblical with saying that God’s only power is the power of love, in which there is no domination, coercion, or violence? God is love (I John 4:8) – that is the defining divine perfection – and God is love from tip to toe.

“Omnipotence,” T. F. Torrance says, “is what God does, and it is from His ‘does’ rather than from a hypothetical ‘can’ that we are to understand the meaning of the term. What God does, we see in Christ.”
It is inaccurate I think, but sounds well intended.

Unfortunately, because of sin, we cannot say that love will never require violence.

Love is a use of power, not power itself. Love in an intention, a guiding objective of the heart. Power is ability. Love is an ultimate goal (choice, intention, motive) that directs one's ability/power.

We can also understand God's eternal power (ability, 'can') from the things He has made.
"out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the heavens and brought them to the man to see what he would call them" (Gen 2:19)

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:41 pm

The love of God is power...the power of God is love
[b][color=#0000BF]I am Crucified with CHRIST, Yet I Live...Yet not I, but CHRIST lives in me[/color][/b]

benstenson

Post by benstenson » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Joseph wrote:The love of God is power...the power of God is love
I agree with this in a sense even though taken literally it contradicts the view I expressed. God's love is powerful in our lives to convince us to be reconciled to Him and to live like Him.
"out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the heavens and brought them to the man to see what he would call them" (Gen 2:19)

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”