How do we stay in Christ?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
dseusy

Re: How do we stay in Christ?

Post by dseusy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:27 am

Michelle,

I didn't thank you for your encouragement to respond thoughtfully vs. preach. I really appreciate this as it is an appropriate and gentle rebuke.

You wrote, "What does 'abiding in Christ' mean to you now?"

I'd have to stick to:

John 15

"Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son." 2 John 1:9

"The one who says, 'I have come to know Him,' and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked." 1 John 2:4-6

"As for you, let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father." 1 John 2:24

What was heard from the beginning?
"Beloved, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word which you have heard." 1 John 2:7

"As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him." 1 John 2:27

Ephesians 2

"and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith," Philippians 3:9

"Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God." 1 John 4:15

Collectively it means the same to me now: Believing, resting, and remaining.

I believe the confusing part is all about perspective- if our view of ourselves is a bonded mesh of spirit and flesh it would be difficult to stay in Christ. However, I believe God's Word helps us divide what is spiritual from what is fleshly and sheds new light on ourselves and what it means to stay in Him.

"For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart."

I used to think this verse meant that God's Word divides between soul and spirit and between joints and marrow but, as you likely understand, God's Word doesn't divide between joints and marrow. I've never seen a verse which helps me to divide between a joint and some marrow. So, since God's Word divides between soul/spirit and joints/marrow (flesh), we get a better perspective of who we are. I believe my new spirit (born-again spirit, which previously died as a result of sin) stays in Christ as described by the above verses. My flesh has no such promise... it will die. My flesh lusts against the Spirit which dwells in it. I believe I (my new spirit- who is who I truly am, though I dwell in this "tent") am in Christ and Christ is in me (my flesh).

"For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For indeed in this house we groan, longing to be clothed with our dwelling from heaven, inasmuch as we, having put it on, will not be found naked. For indeed while we are in this tent, we groan, being burdened, because we do not want to be unclothed but to be clothed, so that what is mortal will be swallowed up by life. Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge. Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord - for we walk by faith, not by sight" 2 Corinthians 5:1-7

"However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him. If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you." Romans 8:9-11
How do you see 'remaining'? How does one move away from the hope of the gospel?
Matthew 13:1-23; Mark 4:1-20
Colossians 1:21-23
"Martha world" makes no sense to me. Could you or steve7150 explain to me what you mean?
Most world religions are teaching the "ways of Martha":

"Now as they were traveling along, He entered a village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord's feet, listening to His word. But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, 'Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me.' But the Lord answered and said to her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.'" Luke 10:38-42

There is a book, "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World", which I feel answers your question.

I believe the Gospel stands out among the world religions by offering reconciliation to God, provided by God.

Hopefully this was less "preachy" :)

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks, dseusy, for your response and for the nicer tone.

I think you and I are in agreement much more than we disagree. The only thing we disagree about, I think, is what 'the flesh' means. You seem to say it's the actual bones, skin, teeth, soft tissue, etc. of our bodies. I agree with Paidion, who wrote on another thread: "When Paul talked about "the flesh" in a negative way, he seemed to be referring to the self-nature, not the physical body." I do view myself as a "bonded mesh of spirit and flesh," but it doesn't seem at all to me that it's difficult to stay in Christ. I also believe God's Word helps me divide what is spiritual from what is fleshly - so that I can be led by the Spirit, not by the flesh, so that I, like you, believe, rest, and remain in Him - all of me.

Thanks for explaining where "having a Mary heart in a Martha world" comes from. I looked at reviews of the book and discovered it has to do with finding balance between being overly busy with the activities of life and sitting quietly at Jesus' feet, learning from Him. I had assumed (not ever having heard of this book - why am I so out of touch?) that it meant that Martha should be viewed negatively, yet she has this great speech recorded in John 11:23-27:
Which is the gospel, you know?

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:46 am

Michelle,

Yes, I agree that Martha knew the Lord... however, her anxiety, busyness, and frustration with her sister is similar to the world's way of doing things. I see so many Christians who operate this way, and I also get caught up in this- how refreshing it is to be with Him, rather than regularly joining the world in anxiety.

"casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”